Thursday, October 10, 2013

Turning a Negative into a Positive, Day 7

I love my friends.

I was fretting over what to do with my 31 day series as I have fallen behind. Truth is- I started behind. Then, eight days ago my children's school teachers started their "fall break." Enough said, really. Having a full house 24/7 means that I haven't had much time to devote to thinking... or blogging, which requires lots of thinking.

Anyway, I wrote my dear friend, Jhona, about my worries and asked if she had any suggestions on how I could salvage this project. She wrote me back saying, "you could just say what's happening and pick up where you are! There's something beautiful in all of that, too. You could write about the struggle you're feeling and then how you combat that by not looking backwards and trying to catch up, but by knowing that imperfect progress is still progress so you move forward from right where you're at!"

Such wise words! I love what she said and am grateful for that clear and true advice- don't look backwards... "move forward from right where you are at!"

Well this is where I am at- Day 7. Maybe my 31 days will take 40+ days to actually materialize. I also wish I had a little more time to keep up with several of the 31 days series that have caught my interest. But the truth is that "me" time is short right now and will be for the next few days. So, I will continue this journey of study and introspection for my own personal goals, and I hope it will be a helpful series for anyone interested in developing the habit of positive thinking.

Positive thoughts.

I am happy that I have been writing in my gratitude journal. While I haven't been able to jot down a lot of things as they have happened, I have been able to reflect on the good things at the end of the busy days.

This whole experience actually leads nicely into the next positive thinking topic that I wanted to cover which is being grateful even in trying circumstances.

The following piece was originally printed in an Ann Landers column on Nov 22, 2001:
Dear Ann Landers: I hope you will print something a friend in Australia sent me. I think it's perfect to run on Thanksgiving. -- Bee in Fairfax, Va.

Dear Bee: Please send my best wishes and thanks to your friend in Australia. Here's the thoughtful piece she sent:

Things to Be Thankful For
Be thankful for the clothes that fit too snug, because it means you have enough to eat.
Be thankful for the mess you clean up after a party, because it means you have been surrounded by friends.
Be thankful for the taxes you pay, because it means you're employed.
Be thankful that your lawn needs mowing and your windows need fixing, because it means you have a home.
Be thankful for your heating bill, because it means you are warm.
Be thankful for the laundry, because it means you have clothes to wear.
Be thankful for the space you find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means you can walk.
Be thankful for the lady who sings off-key you in church, because it means you can hear.
Be thankful when people complain about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech.
Be thankful for the alarm that goes off in the early morning, because it means you're alive.

In the spirit of the Ann Lander's letter, I will turn my own frustration into something postitive: I am thankful for the busy days that fall break brings, because it means that I am a mother and that my children are near.
And a heartfelt thank you to my friend Jhona who encouraged me in words and by example to be real and write what's in my heart. Jhona's 31 days series is "31 days of real." She is so good at it!

Invitation: Keep it real by turning one of today's potential frustrations into something to be thankful for.
For the introduction and list of daily topics for my project, go here.

No comments: