This topic has been on my mind for a very long time. I am still in the process of forgiving myself (and probably will be forever since I continually make mistakes.) However, there is something I think I have beat myself up over long enough. I want to put it in the past. I regret years of putting my physical health on the back burner, resulting in an unhealthy amount of weight gain. I find that when I make a commitment to move forward in healthier habits, I am often confronted with the mistakes of my past. Thoughts come to mind like, "how could you let it get this bad?!" and "you did this to yourself, so it is only fitting that you suffer for it." Sure, our choices have consequences, and I am living with mine. But... how much negative self talk is enough already? And what does it take to fell worth making the change?
For a few months I have entertained the idea of writing a letter of forgiveness to myself. Just like Erin Pavlina recommends that we approach ourselves as we would someone we love very much. I want to talk to myself that way. I started writing that letter today.
I know that a big part of my being able to let go of past mistakes is to really feel that my Father in Heaven forgives me. If He forgives me, then who am I to withhold forgiveness? So I began praying for this assurance and have been led to read different things that are building my confidence like Dieter F. Uchtdorf's counsel to "be patient with yourself."
I think the road to forgiving oneself will be somewhat different for everyone, so even if I had found my way (which I haven't yet) I could not say this worked for me and you should do it too. However, I know that if you turn to God and ask for guidance you will get exactly what you need.
Invitation: If you have something that you often berate yourself for- it can be a weakness you struggle with, a poor choice you made, or an unfortunate incident for which you blame yourself, please watchthis Carol Tuttle mini-healing session and seek to find and feel the forgiveness that you need to free yourself from that burden-- the one you have been carrying for far too long. Show love to yourself by letting go.
Continue to Day 24, Don't Compare Yourself to Others.
For the introduction and list of daily topics for my project, 31 Days of Positive Thinking, go here.


No comments:
Post a Comment