Monday, October 21, 2013

7 Ways to Boost Your Mood, Days 12-18

(Days 12 through 18? Yes, I thought it best to include these 7 mood boosters in one post so readers didn't have to click too much. Well... it's either that, or I am shamelessly trying to catch up. Speculate.)

Sometimes I just feel grumpy, agitated, disappointed, impatient or at best just plain blah. It's at those times that I am tempted to have a pity party. But where does that get me? Nowhere good. This is when I can exercise the gift of choice. I can choose to whine and wallow, or I can choose to look for the good and be thankful. It sounds easy, but changing one's mindset takes intentional effort. I have thought of several things that boost my mood and make that shift from a negative mindset to a positive one a little more doable.

1- Prayer- I am never alone. There is always someone who understands. Turning to my Heavenly Father in prayer instantly encourages humility which softens the heart and opens the soul to guidance and comfort from the One who knows and loves me infinitely.

2- Exercise- A workout gives me the chance to be in the moment as I set worries and to-do lists aside and concentrate on my physical health. It is well known that exercise helps increase those feel good endorphins.

workout design by rita
3- Nature- Taking time to enjoy God's creations brings stillness to my soul. Slowing down to notice and appreciate the beauty of the earth and feeling the sunshine on my face can rejuvenate my spirit. My favorite primary song.

4- Art- There are works of art that lift me to a higher plane spiritually and emotionally. Simply admiring the talents of others ignites feelings of hope and reverence.

5- Music- Music is a powerful persuader. Whether I choose relaxing tunes or feel-good, happy jams, music can make a smile out of my frown.

6- Laughter- I love to laugh. I am blessed with a friend who can bring me to happy tears in almost every conversation. She is so funny, and we love to find the humor in most situations. So being with funny people or just finding some humor wherever you are is a great pick me up.
laugh audrey hepburn quote
7- JournalingAs I mentioned in my last post, writing is thereaputic for me. It is a great way to recognize and sort through feelings. Something about the act of transferring what's in my head to a piece of paper frees my mind to relax and look forward with resolution.

Invitation: Next time you are feeling down, use one of these 7 things to boost your mood.
For the introduction and list of daily topics for my project, 31 Days of Positive Thinking, go here.

No comments: