Sunday, October 6, 2013

Thanks for the Ordinary, Day 6

I hope that those of you who are keeping a gratitude journal are finding several things to record from your everyday life. Something need not be unusual or overwhelming to be worthy of our notice. In fact, if we wait for something "extraordinary" to be grateful for, we may end up waiting a long time and deciding that all the big gifts are being given to other people. But the truth is, there are many gifts to be enjoyed in the common practices of an ordinary day.

Think of a time when you were for some reason unable to enjoy a simple thing that was typically a part of your daily life. Perhaps you were unable to enjoy a warm bubble bath because your leg was in a cast. Maybe you were away from home on travel and found yourself longing to sing your children to sleep at night. I remember becoming very homesick in my college days when I would call home on a Sunday evening and hear popcorn being popped in the background. That simple family tradition made me long for the familiar. May we treasure the familiar while we are enveloped in it.

While my husband was away on deployment, I made it a point to take photos of everyday happenings that I thought he would miss. These turned out to be some of my very favorite and most meaningful keepsakes.

Invitation: Take a photo of an ordinary thing or happening that you will want to remember.
Seth in mismatched pj’s, out for his early morning trike ride (8/15/11)
For the introduction and list of daily topics for my project, go here.

No comments: