Prior to our Nov 22 photo shoot, I spent hours coming up with coordinating clothing for the kids to wear. I'm not exaggerating. I think I spent 2 1/2 hours online jumping between Old Navy and Gymboree trying to find something for each of the kids within a color scheme that kept changing. When I got my order I found that Paul's sweater and Seth's jean jacket were way too big. So I set off to Wal-mart and then to the Px where I did some more bouncing- this time between the toddler and big boys' departments. So if the picture itself is not all that, please at least appreciate the threads.
So we head downtown (cause my color scheme isn't really naturish and the fall colors are past their prime anyway.) I head to a trusty spot with a neutral gray background and tell the kids to sit. So despite plenty of grumbling along the way, the kids line up and give me some half-hearted grins. At first Seth thought it was neat to sit with the big kids and do what they were doing. But that only lasted for about 2 1/2 minutes. After that he was determined to be anywhere but where I wanted him to be. So, I instruct Olivia and Paul to keep a hold of him and they give it their best shot...
Good job, Paul. Too bad the girls were off in their own worlds. Let's try some teamwork...
Okay, trapping Seth in between the legs of big sis and bro is not working out too well.
It's not working at all.Because this is what Seth wants to be doing-

We follow Seth's lead and move down the sidewalk a bit to try another set up. I let Dave know how VERY much I need his help in getting the kids to their spots and keeping them there. He keeps them there all right...

I'm just not really digging that orange Bronco stripe peeking out on the left of the frame.
The frustration is building and I remind myself that it would be best to quit saying "if you kids don't cooperate, I'm going to spank your butt." Sure, it's just one of my empty threats, yet a possible turn off to any potential clients who might be near.
I take a deep breath and then comes a brilliant idea. If we go down to this archway and set Seth up on the ledge he will have no where to go but boom on the concrete. Hope is renewed.

Hey, at least Seth is cute and happy.

But it's become quite clear that the others' smiles are becoming more and more ingenuine as time passes.

I'm about to give up. Olivia has suddenly taken on poses fit for Tyra's Top Model...
and I'm tired of adjusting Faith's headband.
Sigh... "Go play kids! Get drenched in the fountains. See if I care."


And just as the fun is about to begin, I take a second look at the beautiful Christmas tree several yards ahead of us. (I don't give up easily- I like to squeeze out every last possible decent picture during a photo shoot.) The shiny baubles on the town tree could potentially make some very cool reflections and festive bokeh. Hmmm... "Faith! Come with Mommy for a minute!"

I encourage Faith to look my way and plead for a smile.

I'll take it! "Thank you so much Faith for cooperating and helping Mommy to get a cute picture even though you are biting your bottom lip in it and everything else has gone to pot. You are my favorite child." (No, I didn't say that.)
So what did I come up with? What am I going to use for my Christmas cards? Well, wouldn't you know it- the best shots were all taken during the first 5 minutes of the photo shoot. This one was pretty cute (too bad it's out of focus. DANG!)

So that leaves me with a choice between two. Which one would you like to receive this year? Number 1 or Number 2?
1

2

And please send me your address if you are interseted in receiving an actual paper, snail mail Christmas card. (dickson.cg@gmail.com) Thanks.
7 comments:
Copy and paste Claire.. then you will have the perfect card! I loved looking at the pictures. I am not even brave enough to attempt to get my kids together for a picture!
I love it! But it does make me feel a little better that a professional photographer has problems getting a good shot for her card too!
I like #1 better. I love the modesty shield you put up for your daughter. Is it wrong for me to like snail mail cards when I know I am completely incapable of sendingthem that way so I send pdf files? I know I'm awful!
this is hilarious. seriously, i laughed and laughed at the pictures. i feel your pain.
That was awesome Claire... I seriously laughed out love. Hey... at least they try to smile! Go look at my FB profile pic.... THAT is what happens when I try to take a holiday pic! :) BTW... I LOVE their outfits!
I'm so bummed that Livvy and Faith aren't cooperating in the very first picture of the post bc your boys look so cute! But the final options are both good.
Love 'em all! I also love your idea about 365 pictures.....I'd love to say I'm joining, but must admit I'm overwhelmed at the moment and am trying to simplify...maybe I'll try but won't tell :-)
Post a Comment