Thursday, December 17, 2009

365

Project 365 is basically a photo a day for 2010. I kinda, sorta wanted to do this last year, but since I hadn't jumped on by Jan 1 I decided to let a full 11 1/2 months pass before beginning the kinda, sorta daunting task of taking one photo every day of the year. But alas, the time has come for me to declare my intentions. (Thank you to Rebecca and a few others for the inspiration.

I gave up scrapbooking a couple of years ago as photography and blogging sort of took over. But I'm thinking 365 would be such a great capture of "a year in the life" of the family!



I am addressing my "All or Nothing" deficient thinking pattern right up front. My instinctual reaction to missing a day (which is surely going to happen) would be to throw in the towel and wait for 2011 to roll around for a second try. So I've got my default mechanisms already in place. If it's a day where I just don't feel like lugging out the camera, I'll hand a point and shoot to one of the kids and tell them to have fun. And if I just plain miss a day or two or three- I'm going to ask one of the kids to draw a picture of the cat or something to put in the spot for that day (or I'll draw one and claim that is was done by one of the kids.) No pressure. I'm going with photographer Tara Whitney's "perfectly imperfect" philosophy here.

This can, of course, be done in many ways. I've heard of a Project 52 which is one photo a week. I've seen 365s made up entirely of self-portraits (by over-achievers with good self esteems.) Some have flikr groups, others post on their blogs.

Well, this is my plan:
I am going to take my photo a day but only worry about uploading and editing weekly (or monthly if it comes to that.) I will keep a running log of my photos on a special 365 blog (currently under construction.) However, I will post the 30ish shots from each month once a month here on my "normal" blog. I don't really want to disappoint you if you come over for some crazy antics only to find a photo of my refrigerator or something boring like that. At the end of the year I plan to blurb(make into a book)the whole set- a year in the life of my family!

I would like to gather names and blog addresses of anyone who would like to join me. I figure we can encourage one another by the occasional "ooh" and "ahh" and help each other not feel so bad if we miss a day due to surgery or some other unfortunate happening that makes picture taking a bit low on the priority list. I"m sure there will also be lots of creative ideas and inspiration to share. So... let me know if you wanna play. Leave a comment and make sure I have your email address. I will later give you a list of all the other courageous moms 365ing and we'll go from there.

4 comments:

The Griner Family: said...

OOO....I would love to do this with you!!! I do not take good pictures like you though. But what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a cool idea, with moving I think it would make me crazy but I will glady look at your photos and think maybe next year...

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm with your vanilla dreamer friend. i really want to do this, but with a move coming up this next year... plus working full time... it seems like it would become more stressful than enjoyable for me. but i REEEEAAALLLLLYYYYY want to do it.
i'll give it some thought.

Janet said...

I've wanted to do this too but just like you I thought I would have a hard time keeping up. Count me in I'm willing to give it a try. I like the idea of giving the camera to the kids they always love taking pictures and it's funny to see what they end up with.