Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lest I Be Deemed Ungrateful...

So my Thanksgiving post isn't exactly timely, but I certainly don't want to miss the chance to say just how blessed I feel when it comes to my family. This year we had the unique opportunity of being with all of my siblings and their children including two baby nephews we had yet to meet.

The gathering included my brother Nate and his daughter Paris-


my brother Andy, his wife Sara, and their four children Caleb, Aubrey, Tate and Ainsley-

(just in case you didn't see him well enough, TATEr tot gets a close up. Love that hair, the cheeks, and the serious disposition.)

And last but not least, my sister Ella and her children Jane and Jack. (Jack deserves his own close up too, but I am deficient in photos. This baby had a ready smile for anyone that looked his way.)

The day before we planned to make the 10 hour loooong trip to Missouri, we had to postpone take-off by 1/2 a day because Faith was sick with a 24 hour flu bug. Faith had talked about this trip with immeasurable enthusiasm so I was praying that she wouldn't end up disappointed. Fortunately, everyone seemed well on Wednesday morning so we hit the road. Unfortunately after we got to my parents' place and Paul refused the offer of a piece of pizza, we knew the sickness had claimed its newest victim. Paul spent Thanksgiving Day down and out and from there the bug spread wildly, leaving only a select few untouched. We cannot apologize enough for the germs we shared, but we are glad we didn't miss out on seeing everyone.

The highlight for the children was a cousin sleepover that was encouraged by the fun (and very brave) Aunt Sara. I'm so glad they got to have more time to play and be crazy with their cousins. And Faith and Caleb surprised us all when they become inseparable.

Seth (who was a bit young to attend the sleepover) thought the light parade was the greatest thing. He sat on Dave's shoulders and clapped and smiled as the lighted floats, horses, and even a dog went by. (I really think he said "dog" but that cannot be confirmed.) We also visited Santa at the library (Seth wanted nothing to do with the jolly, bearded man.) Ella and I took a trip to the Amish Quilting Store to buy excessive amounts of embroidery thread, and I got to visit my best friend Janet and her family. The children played, the women talked, and the men banished themselves to the basement where football and wii games were plentiful.

The time went by quickly and before we knew it we were on our way home again. Saying goodbye to family who live far away always tugs at my heart. I wish we were close so we could have big gatherings more often but I'm grateful for the times we do.

This is the whole gang, including my Aunt Judy but excluding Ella's husband Matt who was hard at work back in Utah.

3 comments:

The Griner Family: said...

Way to go Clair...your pictures look awesome! Glad everyone is feeling better!!

Ella said...

I like all those pics. And the coloring. And I can't believe I actually like the pic of me, but WHAT is up with Jane. She looks too weird. Which is unfortunate.

Janet said...

Who took the family picture? Did you use a tripoid and timer or have to call on one of the neighbors? Your pictures are great!