So there are many reasons why I love facebook, but one of the best things about it is that facebook is a forum for almost instant validation, encouragement, and sympathy.
Need to be reminded of how adorable your kids are? Post a couple of pics on facebook and the "aww!" "beautiful baby!" and "couldn't be cuter!" comments from your fb friends will help you forget all about the unfortunate permanent marker incident.
Need a few words of encouragement? Post something like "I've got the blues..." and it won't be long before well wishes help clear the cobwebs.
And when something really crappy happens and you just need some love, look no further than facebook! It worked well for me when I broke my wrist about 5 weeks ago. (Did you know I broke my wrist about 5 weeks ago? Yep, I never got around to blogging about it but my 195 facebook friends new about it in record time.)
Anyway, the sympathy votes just poured in. Here's a peak at just a small sampling of all the condolences posted on my wall within a matter of a few hours:
facebook status:
Clair vs the stairs. stairs win again. consolation prize- a broken wrist.
Beth Ann
Ouch!
Lillian
Oh, no! you poor thing. Is there anything I can do to help? Clean? dinner? anything?
Ella
Clair! Are you serious?!! That's HORRIBLE! I'm so sorry! I can't imagine. I can only hope it's your left hand.
Erin
You can't seem to catch a break, oh wait... I guess that was the problem!
Patricia
SO SORRY Clair! I called Mel and told her about your fall.
Kim
Uggh!
DougnJhona
:( Big Bummer!!!! I hope that your pain isn't too bad and will be praying that everything heals properly!
Mackenzie
OH NO!I'm so sorry Clair!I hope you heal quickly!I am glad I have one friend who is as clumsy as me though.
Tisha
Ouch that stinks! I've done that before! I hope you feel better! Pick a bright color for your cast!
David
Well, this is one way to get a few hours away from work...it's been a fun day between juggling kids, staff duty, and the "Kentuckian Patient". I love you, Clair xoxoxoxo
Beth
You have to make sure you wear sensible shoes Clair. Ditch the stilettos you usually do housework in.
See? I've got a broken wrist but I'm feelin' the love.
Later, I can pop back on to my original comment and comment on the comments like this...
Clair
thank you to all for your thoughtfulness! pat- i must be mature for my age 'cause i think i started falling apart a couple of years ago. tish- when i got a cast on my foot a few years ago i choose dark blue 'cause i thought it would blend in w/ denim jeans- perhaps i should go all out this time. beth- good one, but if my shoes were anymore sensible they'd be orthopedic. but you are right. i was either barefoot or flip flopping when i broke my foot.
And even later, after the suspense has built, I can give an update to all those concerned. They will see it when they are "notified" via fb that I have posted something to this thread.
Clair
update- i have a splint on me left (yeah!) arm. due to swelling i must wait a week before getting a cast. i will probably have to wear the cast for 4 (boo!) weeks. considering that i also hit my hip and head, dave assures me i was lucky and should quit grumbling.
So there you have it. Facebook- a conduit of love and friendship. A place where hearts and hugs abound.
And by the way, I got my cast off a week ago and will be starting up a bit of occupational therapy to get back my full range of motion and what not. Uh oh- I haven't shared this good news on facebook yet, so I must make the removal of my cast official. I'm off to update my status now...

(facebook profile pics)
5 comments:
did you write this post just for me?
i'm still not joining.
Great post! I love <3 facebook too!!! It's great to know HOW to encourage our friends:) I love reading your FB posts and your blog.
I love facebook too, and I am so glad you are on it.. although I do check your blog daily too to see what is new with you... It is nice to be able to keep up with old friends.
Still not there yet...I have hijacked my mom's page 3 times (with permission, of course) and twice I have found friends that are now divorced. I just told mom yesterday that Facebook was depressing me...glad there is good to be found. And glad the cast is off!!!
Dude, you are the ONLY one I know who has that kind of friend-power on facebook!!! Seriously, HOW MANY comments did you get on the cell phone one? How is that even possible? No wonder you love facebook!
Post a Comment