Thursday, December 3, 2009

Homemaking Tip of the Year

Well, I promised a great tip and for anyone that was actually looking forward to it today is the day I reveal my latest (and only) stroke of genius idea for keeping it together around the house.

I became soooo tired of picking up the hand towel off of the floor in the downstairs bathroom. I swear, it was NEVER hanging up when I walked in there and it was often not even still in the bathroom.



So... enter 2 diaper pins. Just fasten them on each side of the towel from behind and you won't have to worry about finding that towel on the floor again (unless you have very strong children or very cheaply fastened towel rods.)





This lightbulb moment is not without inspiration though I will take full credit for its 21st century adaptation. I remember a nifty, though questionable, contraption for hand drying that was available in all gas station bathrooms during my elementary school age years. Do you remember the never ending towel? You would pull down a fresh piece of cloth (well, you hoped it was fresh) and the used part of the cloth would disappear back into the contraption.) I have no idea if these were actually sanitary. Was the towel super long and just got disposed of when you the end was reached or was it a shorter towel that just kept rotating? I don't know.

But, this is my towel and I try to rotate it at least weekly or sooner upon seeing oreo or cheeto crumbs on it. You could even be seventiesish and use a larger towel that you fastend end to end if you want the rotating effect.

If you ever see this tip in Better Homes and Gardens, remember you saw it here first folks.

11 comments:

buttercup said...

Great Idea Clair! I think I will do this because I have the same problem. I have wanted to create a towel with button holes and buttons to keep it fastened on-I came up with that idea at least 8 years ago but have I done it yet? NO! But I know I can fasten two diaper pins this afternoon! Woohoo!

Aiming4Simple said...

I shared the same frustration! My family likes to take the towel off the bar when they dry their hands, so we compromised with elastic clips (similar to mitten clips).

the wrath of khandrea said...

tip of the year indeed! i have this same problem in the kids' bathroom, and i can't wait to see who rips the towel rod off the wall first.

you are a genius.

Janeal said...

This is the best idea I've heard all day...all week...maybe even all year! I have the same problem with the towel. I am going to do this right now! Thanks, you're a genius.

P

Anonymous said...

brilliant! Now I just need to buy some pins!

Stacey said...

Very clever Clair! My son's towel is always on the floor. Thanks for visiting my 365 blog, too! ♥

Jhona O. said...

LOVE THIS and will so be using it. You're awesome!

Ella said...

Never told you but that is seriously ingenious! You should send that tip in somewhere to be published!

CindyJanesAttic said...

Brilliant Clair! You're a hoot! I mean that quite lovingly! What a joy it is to read your thoughts ... from one real gal to another! :)

Unknown said...

Clever! Thanks for sharing. It's always the simple things that amaze the most 'o)

Unknown said...

Clever! Thanks for sharing. It's always the simplest things that amaze most 'o)