Thursday, November 19, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday Big Bird!



So Sesame Street celebrated 40 years of syndication on Nov 10th of this year. Wow, that means that for someone who is.. oh, let's say... 36, she has been a fan for most of Sesame's life and all of her own. When I was four years old I really, really, really wanted to draw a picture of Mr. Snuffleupagus to submit to The Friend magazine- a church publication for kids. Well, I toiled and troubled and became very frustrated when it became apparent that I was not going to be able to produce on paper anything close to the visual of Snuffy that I had in my mind. Admitting defeat, I submitted a drawing of a bear instead and was thrilled to see it in the magazine later... but still a bit miffed that my original idea didn't pan out. And when my little brother Nathan would let his socks sag off of his feet I would tell him they looked liked Snuffleupagus... you know, his trunk.

Anyway, it's been fun to think of all the old ditties I enjoyed like The Lady Bug's Picnic, the pinball machine 1-2-3-4-5,6-7-8-9-10,11-Tweeeelllllllve, and The Alligator King who made me flinch when he crunched down on the rubies he thought were cherries. Kermit the Frog is one of my favorites with his News Flash. And I really like the crazy and clumsy Super Grover. (I kind of feel like him sometimes though he did manage to crash without breaking any bones so he's got me there. Super Mom + overfilled laundry basket + a literal trip down the stairs = broken wrist = a stinky, itchy cast = not so Super. But that's another post...)

I love all the original Muppets. The lovable Elmo made his debut after I was grown but he has been a favorite of each of my kids and we try not to miss Elmo's World when we are home. Both Olivia and Faith dressed as Elmo for Halloween when they were three and my most favorite costume EVER has been a Cookie Monster outfit that Paul and Seth wore before they were one year old.





As I'm watching the show with Seth (and his sippy cup and blanket) now, I see this Murray character that hasn't endeared me yet, but we'll give him a little more time. Abby Cadabby is another newbie and Paul and I were laughing our heads off when we heard her singing "I have wings and you don't" or something like that. Too funny.

For old time's sake please enjoy this News Flash from Hi Ho Kermit the Frog:



And before I close, did you know I love Aaron Neville? Well, I'm wondering if it all began with his lovely duet with Ernie:



Sunny day!

5 comments:

The Griner Family: said...

So stinkin' cute!!!!!!

Emily said...

Clair,
I must, I MUST tell you... this is my favorite post ever! I heart the opening pic of Seth and Elmo!
I LOVE IT!
The pic of Paul and Seth...they are identical!
Thanks for posting about Sesame Street and showing your AMAZING photography!

buttercup said...

The song with Ernie and Aaron is one of my all time favorite Sesame Street songs. I love that song. My close second is Shiny Happy Monsters with REM and and awesome Kate Pierson (of the b-52s) Muppet. A new favorite is Feist's 1-2-3-4

Jennifer said...

I loved that cookie monster costume. that is the cutest thing ever!

the wrath of khandrea said...

this was a delicious trip down memory lane. on a sad note, the other day we were working on analogies in the 4th grade class. the set up was
"kermit:green :: big bird:______"

not one child in the class knew who big bird was. not a single one. i felt pity for them.