The following is a portion of a talk given by Elder Uchtdorf that I am happy to share. This address (which can be found in full by clicking on its title Happiness, Your Heritage by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Ensign, Nov 2008) really struck a cord with me when I first heard it one year ago. I referred to these words in a photography workshop I taught to ladies in my church. I have kept thinking back to this talk over the past couple of months as my friend Melinda has helped me better organize my time and home based on my priorities. So I was thrilled when I found that there is now a short inspirational clip highlighting the message that women have an innate desire and ability to create.
Seeing this clip this morning motivates my to put in writing an idea I've been toying with. The amazing Melinda, whom I raved about here, shared an idea with me that I thought was priceless because it could so powerfully influence the atmosphere, spirit, and potential of my home. What is it? The idea is to name your home. It takes a lot of thought as you consider what you want your home to be. Of course our homes are works in progress. If I were to name my house for what it is now, it would probably have the word zoo ir chaos in it somewhere. But that is not the point. Giving my house a name gives me the chance to aspire to something higher. If I were fulfilling my role as a wife, mother, and homemaker to the very best of my ability and with the divine guidance of my Heavenly Father and Savior, what would my home become? I decided it would become "the heART museum." I want to give my children opportunities to create, I want them to feel the value of their creations and I want the things that we surround ourselves with in our home to reflect what we believe and LOVE.
I chose "the heART museum" not because it is something I am already good at. Involving my kids in art has been an area of shameful neglect. My life was art during my college years. I taught art for two years before I happily chose to stay home with my first baby 10 years ago. Then mysteriously, art took a back seat for a long time- too long. I became a busy mother of young children and failed to keep something I love an important part of my life. I guess it is a fairly typical case of "if I knew then, what I know now." If I knew how much I would miss it... If I realized I was burying a talent... If I had any clue of how to incorporate art into a life of diapers and laundry and feeding multiple people multiple times each day...
Well, I didn't. But all hope is not lost 'cause I have today and every day I'm granted hereafter. About two years ago I began experimenting with how photography could be a part of my life. I got my first dslr with the purpose of photographing a small wedding. A light not only went on in my brain, but my soul was illuminated as ventured into taking photos for other people and being more creative with the photos I took of my own family. A dormant area came alive. I got back to appreciating beauty and creating something that did not exist before and what a thrill it was and is. It's also been an opportunity to stretch and grow as I study and learn the skills of the trade, as I venture into business and experience the growing pains that come when you dive into something unfamiliar. I have started displaying more of my photography in my home.
But, this is not about photography, and I'm getting a bit off track. This is about what I can do now to further incorporate the talents, education, and passions that are a part of me (even though they could use some dusting off) to make a better home for my family. I'm going to take baby steps toward my ideal home "the heART museum"- a home where creativity abounds, experimentation is encouraged, and all the beauty and love of this life is celebrated.
I hope to have some progress to share with you soon. Also coming is an update on Dicksons' Diner and a tip that will help you maintain order in your bathroom. :)
2 comments:
this is inspiring. i am eager to see what you guys produce. you are a great mom.
Very cool, Clair. I look forward to hearing about your progress! And I'm so glad you've gotten back into photography!
Post a Comment