Thursday, December 11, 2008

Biting.. a little late

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Yes, I caved. I gave into peer pressure. In a moment of weakness I started the Twilight series. Though I never thought I'd enjoy a book with a vampire theme, this book kept me turning pages. So for those that have said "just try it," I did and I um... liked it. I don't see myself sporting an "I love Edward" t-shirt or anything, but I will give the book a well deserved 4 stars for interesting characters, originality and suspense.


View all my reviews.

Over Thanksgiving my sister begged me to read this book and I decided that if it dropped into my lap I'd consider it. A few days ago my neighbor asked me if I'd read it. She had just finished it overnight and was eager to lend me the book. This was my moment of weakness. Since I had nothing else on my nightstand that was purely entertainment, I decided to give it a shot.

A funny sideline is that before my neighbor asked me about the book she said upfront "I don't know if your church lets you read this kind of thing." Imagine her surprise when she found out that not only are many Mormon women gaga over this series, it was written by a Mormon. (And yes, I did pay attention in Sunday school a few weeks ago when we were reminded to refer to ourselves as memebers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's why I added that sentence so I won't feel guilty.) Anyway, what a missionary opportunity with my neighbor...uh, well, sort of. (Insert quizzical looking face here.) I guess it could be considered BRT (Building Relationships of Trust) if nothing else.

PS I may have given into reading this book, but I promise myself now that I will not name any future children Bella, Esme, Edward, or Laurent. (That's an easy promise to keep since I think we have a full house already, but I've got to claim victory in some small way.)

2 comments:

Dottie, Chad, Heav, Court and CJ said...

Way to go Clair! I'm so proud of you. Now you're ready to move onto New Moon/Eclipse and fully understand why you're about to buy an "I love Jacob" t-shirt instead! ;) Congrats and happy reading!

buttercup said...

Just wait til you get to Breaking Dawn. I'm sure you'll see other names you'll never want to name your children.

I read Twilight 7 times in 2 months! This book is all fluff. I don't read this stuff! But I loved it! Oh well. Since I got my husband to read it, he's hooked too, I don't feel guilty any more.