As Christmas neared and the whole gift giving thing came up for contemplation, Dave and I talked about how we wanted to give our kids experiences as they are more likely to be remembered than are things. So we looked around for some type of play or performance to take them to and found the perfect one (A Christmas Story) at the perfect price ($1.50.) I'm still not sure why it was such a bargain as we noticed that it was only $1.50 on one particular night. I wondered if it was a computer glitch or something, but when we presented our online purchased tickets no one asked us for more money so I guess we were good.
Anyway, we all absolutely loved our outing and ended up with wonderful seats right near the action. It could not have been any funnier. Before the show began, the actors mingled among the crowd and the kids enjoyed talking to "Scott Fargus/ Esther," the bully/ Ralphie's love interest. Later in the show, the actor recalled to the audience Olivia's report that she had watched the movie 8 times in preparation for the trip to the theater. (He exaggerated a little.) It was a lot of fun when the play called for audience participation. We got to make hound dog howling noises, chant "You'll shoot your eye out!" and the kids even got to go on stage to play the part of onlookers during the playground scene where the kid gets his tongue stuck to a pole.
I was so worried about Seth and whether or not he would be quiet and still, but he did great!
I don't want to encourage feelings of jealousy, but I must report that we had the opportunity to handle THE official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and 'this thing' which tells time that was used in the making of the movie. I'm not sure why it wasn't in the Smithsonian, but our gain I suppose.

After the play I asked for the Hallmark ornament of the "major award" leg lamp that I had seen a couple of weeks earlier. Dave searched high and low, but apparently it was a very popular item this year. I really wanted to be able to hang the work of art on the tree right where the neighbors could enjoy it, but it wasn't meant to be. Instead I got "A Christmas Story" themed Yahtzee game which makes a suitable souvenir and has been fun for all.
So a night out to view "A Christmas Story" was our attempt to expose the kids to a bit of culture and fine art. We hope to make a night out to the theater a yearly Christmas traditon, and we are working our way up to "The Nutcracker."
7 comments:
LOL! I would loved to have seen that ornament on your tree, I would have gotten quite a kick out of it...pun intended ;). That movie is Erik's all time favorite Christmas movie. We watched it at least 5 times this year! I am totally jealous that you guys got to handle THE official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and 'this thing' which tells time!
I wish I would have known about this, it sounds like a lot of fun. Great memories for your kids!
Andy had us all watch it on tv this year. Caleb wants one!
You guys are so cultured. Love the pictures. Dad.
every single line of this post is hilarious. HILARIOUS! clair, you absolutely kill me. i keep you in my life because
a) i need the gratuitous humor you offer
b) and oh, yeah, i value our friendship.
making memories for your children...you are such good parents. Mom
Hey, I could've sworn I had commented on this! Anyway, I loved the idea of doing more things together for the memories instead of just "stuff." And I am so ashamed we haven't posted any christmas stuff yet.
So fun!!! That was Michael's favorite movie growing up and he wanted to take the kids this year to the play but the tix were soooo expensive- 1.50-what a deal!!!
The memories will last forever!
Post a Comment