My birthday dinner ended up being at the Rainforest Cafe which was all good and well, until the serving crew came and sang to me at the table and when they left I looked down to see NO birthday treat in front of me! What? Apparently I did not exactly understand the waiter's mumblings when he said something about the ice cream sundaes being the birthday dessert. Since the kids ordered sundaes I guess he took one of their sundaes off of our tab. That left me pathetically mooching off of Livvy and Paul's ice cream (they were very stingy) and Faith's chocolate pudding (she was generous, but I wasn't really looking for pudding.)



We visited "The Parthenon" which was sort of cool but sort of boring. I politely (seriously, I was very polite about it this time) let the desk clerk know that I was somewhat disappointed in the small amount of stuff that we saw for $19. I basically asked "is that all there is?" but not in those words. She did explain that one of the adjoining exhibits was not under construction at the time and she graciously gave me several free passes (so let me know if anyone wants them.) The kids were much more enthusiastic about our following lunch date at McDonalds.
The Adventure Science Center was a big hit (bigger than the 17 foot tall Athena we saw at the Parthenon.) Paul loved learning about Space and the girls were here and there and everywhere trying out different interactive exhibits. Dave and I sat across from each other at one of those stations where you both look into a glass pane and your images combine and boy was it UGLY! So glad we never did that before we had kids or I think I would have been afraid, very afraid. I was able to snap some pictures of Dave, Livvy and Paul hanging out at a walking on the moon simulation.


We enjoyed playing in the hotel pool and the FREE snacks they had available from 5:30to 7:30 pm. Popcorn, nachos, carrot sticks... okay we weren't real excited about the carrot sticks but they were there. We learned that the Drury Inn and Suites really lives up to it's motto "where the extras aren't extra." Dave even extended our check out time, for no extra charge, by one hour so we could fully enjoy our last dip in the pool.

Our last hurrah was showing the kids the Nashville Temple on the way home and then eating at Ryan's. Rolls anyone?
So, I was busy turning older and vacationing and then when we got back I started my campaign for Entertainer of the Year (well, maybe "week" would be more appropriate) by having company for dinner 3 out of 4 nights. We had a new senior missionary couple for dinner on Thursday, a family from church who was in the middle of a move on Friday, and 3 single soldiers on Sunday. It's a miracle I didn't have a nervous break down. Heavenly Father was looking over me for sure. In fact, he sent my mother to help me. We got to spend Easter weekend with my sweet mom which is always a treat.





And, did I mention that I'm taking an online photography class? That started on April 3. (Happy Anniversary and Birthday to me!) Dave was right on with the present this year. Did I emphasis "this year"? Oops, I didn't mean to. Anyway I love the class which is taught by a really well known photographer Bryan Peterson whose book "Understanding Exposure" is highly recommended among photo enthusiasts. In fact, the class is titled "Understanding Exposure." It's all about going manual- finding the CREATIVELY correct exposure and am learning lots. Here's one of my homework photos-- see the little balls of muddy water frozen in time with a super quick shutter speed? I think it's creatively correct, don't you?
4 comments:
I'd give your muddy photo a A+. It's all in the details!!! Sounds like a great vacation! The good thing about have guests on multiple nights is that you really only have to clean once-then keep everyone out of the house in between!
Wow, sounds like so much fun! That is incredibly lame about not getting a birthday treat! What's that about? You had to go through everyone staring at you, then nada! I'm so glad your kids shared :)
i was going to emaiil you tonight and see where the heck you were with the birthday details. i've been waiting paitently over here. love the staycation idea. skip and i went to nashville for our honeymoon. (we chose nashville bc it was within driving distance and the patriots were playing there on new years eve. as it turns out, $400 per ticket was a bit pricey, and we didn't go to any game.)
i digress.
love the mud picture. skip just decided the other day that when he retires he wants to live off of me, and is therefore actively looking for a good photography class i can take.
i'm cracking up about it.
glad everything was so fab. your whole post cracked me up. this comment is like an email. sorry.
Wow! You really had a busy couple of weeks! I do not know how you did it without dropping dead!:) So funny about the Rainforest Cafe!! Ours shut dodown!
Post a Comment