Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dear Crockpot


Following is my Crackpot letter to my Crockpot. I hope you don't find it too personal, but I imagine that many of you will understand. Besides, we must remember that it is for our posterity that we blog our most tender feelings.

Dear Crockpot,

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all the hard work you do so that I don't have to do so much. I know you understand that moms are busy and need a break now and then. It is such a relief to know that you will have dinner ready for me when I have been on a busy day of grocery shopping and errands. Even better though, are the days we spend together. I love to fill you up in the morning and then smell the delicious food you cook all day long as I go about my business.

I know I don't express my gratitude as often as I should. Often our morning greetings are very brief, and I go several hours witout giving you a second thought. I'm sorry, but that is actually one of the things I love about you. You don't require constant attention (like some adorable little people I know.) You don't get off balance like the washing machine or beckon me to visit you frequently like the refrigerator. I promise I will make an effort to give you a little more attention, because you truly deserve it. I'm going to cheer you on as I pass through the kitchen. And I promise I will shine you up really nice the next time you cook for me.

And about my husband, I need to apologize for him as well-- always lifting your lid and peeking to see what's for dinner. I think that after 3 reprimands, he is going to force himself to be more patient. No more adding 30 minutes to your job just so he can get a preview.

I shall end this letter, but not without telling you are what a loyal friend you are. The only time you have ever, ever not worked for me was when I forgot to plug you in. And that was completely my fault! I'm going to round up so new recipes for you to try, and I'm also going to be giving you some TLC at least twice a week now as you are going to be my right hand woman on Thursdays and Sundays.

Thanks for all you do and all that you are!
With love,
Clair



I really love the crockpot. While planning my weekly menus, I decided to make Thursdays and Sundays crockpot days. I typically spend Thursdays grocery shopping, running errands, and then taking the kids to piano lessons after school. Church on Sundays is now from 11am- 2pm, so when we get home it's a knock down race to the fridge. The answer is the crockpot.

Following, are two of my favorites (with only slight alterations) which come from my most well worn cookbook 101 Things to do with a Slow Cooker!

Creamy Italian Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I usually throw in 5-6 breasts instead)
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup, condensed

Combine all ingredients in greased slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8 hours. Makes 4 servings.

I like to serve the chicken with french bread and a lettuce salad.


Pork Chops and Mushrooms

4 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick (again, I throw in a couple more pork chops)
2 medium onions, sliced
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup water
1 can cream of celery soup (10 3/4 oz), condensed

Place meat in a greased slow cooker. Top with onions and mushrooms. In a separate bowl, combine soup mix, water, and soup. Pour over mushrooms and pork chops. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Makes four servings.

I usually serve the chops with rice and a veggie.


And I better not forget my favorite (and most lazy) recipe courtesy of my mom (who is anything but lazy)-

Sunday Pot Roast

Put a pot roast in the crockpot. Add 1/2 cup water. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.

Voila! Dinner is served!


I am very excited to try some recipes from the blog A Year of Crockpotting by Stephanie O'Dea. This gal used her crockpot every single day during 2008. Asian Peanut Butter Pork sounds like something Dave would love. Original Taco Soup has to be good, and I can't wait to make Brown Sugar Chicken. Crockpot lady says her kids think it's candy, so I've got high hopes that this might prove to be a dish that EVERYONE in the family will eat.

Please help me fill in my Thursdays and Sundays with no fail crockpot recipes. I want to know what you love to make in your crockpot!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

You crack me up! I love my crock pot too, here are a few things I love to do!
Roast:
get a roast, then pour in 2 cups of water. Add 2 beef bullion cubes and a packet of dry Onion soup mix. Crank it on high all day long, it's so good!

Salsa Chicken:
1 lb of thawed boneless skinless chicken breast, bottle of your fav salsa, a can of Campbell's Cheese soup and a can of Cream of Chicken. Just pour it all in there! Again, crank that all day, then make some rice and grab some tortillas, lettuce, and whatever else you want to make delicioso burritos!

My stomach is growling now...I'll have to check back soon for more recipes to add to my box also :)

Anonymous said...

I need to start loving my crockpot more...we have several nights where dinner is a mess because we get home so late.

the wrath of khandrea said...

oh yes. if polygamy comes back, we're asking the crockpot to be our sisterwife.

really easy recipe: throw in a pork shoulder, half a bottle of liquid smoke, and about 3 Tbs of salt. voila! smoked pork. you just shred it with 2 forks when it's done. really good on rice, and then i dump bbq sauce on it the next day and make pulled pork sandwiches.

your letter was cute. i have visions of you rapping dave's knuckles with a spatula when he peeks.

Linda said...

I have just found your recipe for Italian Chicken but the recipe I have calls for 16 oz. of cream cheese. It makes it extra special.

I can't wait to try your other recipes.

Bill also peeks on every covered pot on the stove. If you find out how to break the habit let me kow.

Jhona O. said...

How timely!!! I just watched Rachel Ray(I don't generally watch it or like it very much...sorry fans of hers) and the "Crockpot Queens". Hilarious! I loved your letter. Yesterday, for Leif's birthday dinner, I made Crockpot Lasagna...delicious! First time making that and it is definately a keeper!!!

Ella said...

Clair, here's a crockpot meal I really like!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Enchiladas

Ella said...

Oh wait, I almost forgot! I love this yummy pork for soft tacos, taco salads, etc. Have you ever eaten at Cafe Rio? It's their pork. You put in two pounds of pork tenderloin or other pork cut and add 2 cups salsa and 2 cups brown sugar. I usually cut the sugar in half though. I don't remember the cooking times but certainly you can estimate. Then you shred and enjoy!