Saturday, October 18, 2008

Do I look THAT OLD?

I wanted to title this post "Old Fart," but since we don't use the "F" word in our house and "Old Toot" didn't sound catchy enough, I decided to forgo the option and get straight to the point.

This is going to be a venting post.

Let's start with last night.

Dave and I and the kids plus one of Livvy's friends went out to eat Chinese. Near the end of the meal the young, oriental waitress paused to coo at the baby and looked at me and said, "Is he your GRANDson?" Excuse me!? "No he's MY baby," I replied. Then she proceeded to ask referring to the rest of the raukus making crowd around the table, "are they ALL yours?" To which I calmly replied through gritted teeth, "all but one."

I told myself I wouldn't dwell on this but it is the 4th incident of it's kind. The funny thing is that I normally don't worry too much about aging and how OLD I look (though I will probably start now.) I worry much more about my weight and how it makes me look. (Perhaps there is a correlation between being heavy and looking older. I'm sure it doesn't help.) Anyway, let me say for the record that I didn't see any wrinkles in the mirror when I examined last night, and I have yet to find a gray hair.

Onto the 3 other unfortunate incidents.

1- (the most minor and not 100% confirmed to be directed at me, put 99% likely) A few months ago, Dave and I were sitting in a restaurant waiting for our friends Janet and Jason to join us. When they arrived they told the hostess they were meeting another couple and the hostess asked if it was the "OLDER" couple sitting around the corner. Excuse me?! After looking around and trying to find some elderly couples that the hostess must have been referring too, we concluded it was probably us.

2- I was at Wal-mart, by myself, having fabric cut to make pillowcases (well, my Mom made them) for the kids. There was a nice assortment of Dora, Tinkerbell, the Solar System and the like. A young girl, who must have also been a mother judging by the little tyke in her cart, asked me if I was sewing things for my GRANDchildren. Excuse me?!

3- (The most traumatic of all) When Dave left for Korea Part II over two years ago I took him to the St. Louis Airport and was filling out luggage tags in front of the skycap. So here I am getting ready to send my husband off for deployment and the middle-aged african american skycap says to Dave, "Say bye to Mom!" Excuse me?! I look like Dave's MOTHER?! I would like to congratulate Mr. Skycap on making a terrible morning even worse. (Wonder what he thought when Dave laid a big kiss on me before departing. HA! Take that!)

And so it goes. And now I sit trying to patch up my self-esteem. Sigh... It makes sense that I post a few pictures so you can judge for yourself. But after browsing my options I couldn't find one in which I looked a day under 50. I'm just kidding about that, but I don't feel like posting a picture, okay? You know me and what I look like. Just visualize and tell me I am still a hot college babe... or at least that I shouldn't sign up for the Red Hat's Society just yet. I would really hate wearing a red and purple hat.

PS. I am 35 (apparently going on 73)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this has happened to you, I honestly don't think you look old enough to be a grandma! I think people just need to mind their own business I don't know how many times I have been asked if A.the kids were all mine and then that goes nicely with B. do the younger 2 have the same daddy as the oldest. Just this past week I was asked that twice. ARGH like it is anybody's business.

Linda said...

Clair, I wish I could tell you it gets better but.....

I tried dyeing my hair and gave up, I lost weight and that didn't seem to help. It did make me feel better but all that exercise made me exhausted.

The only person besides yourself you have to please. Bill tells me he still sees the young, sweet thing he married 39 yearsago.

I will admit that I need to lose weight again--for health reasons but we need to remember, it doesn't matter what other people think, we need to appreciate all the love we get from our family.

Now that I have said that, I don't think you look like anyone going on senior citizen status anytime soon--in my case it is just around the corner.

the wrath of khandrea said...

are you KIDDING ME? say bye to mom? who SAYS that stuff? she was obviously hitting on him.

i'm stunned, because frankly, none of this makes sense. what the heck are people thinking about me? i'm the same age as you! maybe we should hook up and hit the geriatric water aerobics at the Y. you bring the bathing caps, i'll bring the swimsuit skirts.