Sunday, December 19, 2010

Simple Things Sunday {8}



Last night our family got our noses out of the computer, tv, and gameboys and sat down for an old fashioned board game. Masterpiece is one of our favorites. It's a game of bidding and accumulating works of art all the while hoping you don't end up with one of two forgeries. I get to use some of my college training and annoyingly correct people's pronunciation of artists' names so the kids think I'm smart. "Who wants the Delacroix? Do I hear 3 million?"

In order to keep Seth off the board, he set up shop on the couch with Dozer and watched Cars most of the time. Faith needed lots of reminders to keep her "value cards" hidden, driving Dave crazy each time she slipped. Paul had a great kool-aid smile that I wish I would have captured. And Olivia managed to hang in the game for almost a whole 90 minutes before a bad turn of luck sent her sulking.

When the game was over and assets were counted, Dave asked the kids what they had learned. He intended to review some financial wisdom such as "don't spend all your money at once." However, when he asked the kids what they learned from the game, Paul said, "We can have fun without electronics!" (I plan to quote him on that as opportunities arise.) And Faith said that she learned "not to throw a fit." Two very good lessons as well. :)

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Fun memory and picture. I would say those were two great lessons to learn. The financial stuff will come. :)

Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Jhona O. said...

I vaguely remember playing this with you,Dave and the Dewitts many years ago! I think it's great that you are playing this with your kiddos. We plan to bust out many-a board game in the next two weeks:)

rebecca said...

love your fun collection of photos!

the wrath of khandrea said...

brilliant! i love how you wrote about it too.

Natalie said...

Very good lessons indeed plus family time! :-) nice work on the collage too! ;)