Saturday, April 24, 2010

Seth is TWO!

Oh Seth. We LOVE Seth. We can't get enough of him.
We celebrated two years with the baby of our family.




Apparently no one at the party realized that this was not a one-year-cake-smash party, because it was some time before Seth was offered a spoon. (Of course, I was tending to some menial hostess task at the time, or maybe I was fiddling with my camera.)

Anyway, we had a few (too many) families over for a cook out, trampoline jumping, and Elmo cake. Watching Seth open his presents was oh so sweet. He was the cutest! It was so funny when he saw an Elmo board book and was so happy to see his little red furry friend. Anything with wheels was also a big hit. As soon as Seth recognized whatever toy was under all the wrapping paper, he would get this "oh, wow!" expression or say "ooooh!" It's hard to describe without being able to make sound effects but this picture should give you an idea...



Even more fun than watching Seth open presents was watching him with the birthday cake... well, with the figurines from the birthday cake. When the song was sung and the candles extinguished it was play time with a few nibbles of cake in between airplane take offs and crash landings.






A little about Seth-

He loves Sesame Street and does a brief little dance when he hears the name "Elmo." While my other children had a fondness for Blue's Clues, Dora and the like, Seth really isn't familiar with that many cartoon characters. I guess being the baby of the family, you get to watch a lot of what the bigger kids watch- so we are talking Wizards of Waverly Place and Avatar the Last Airbender. I make sure that while the big kids are at school, Seth gets a healthy dose of some furry monsters (with a little bit of Monk thrown in) to stimulate his brain development.

Seth loves to "roar!" and be scary. Of course the "roar" was first learned as the sound one makes when playing with plastic dinosaurs. Seth likes to apply it to many different animals. I was doing some paperwork at an office and a lady was keeping Seth busy with some toys. She had platic ocean creature figures and Seth grabbed the whale and yelled "roar!" It works for all animals that don't really have a specific sound. A few times, Seth has gotten a kick out of chasing me around while holding a dinosaur in front out in front of him and scaring me with his roar-giggle-roars.

Scrambled eggs are a breakfast favorite, and Seth loves himself a nice, juicy pacifier.

Seth is getting quite vocal about any unpleasantries.

After getting ear tubes a few months ago, Seth's hearing test results were perfectly normal and we are starting to hear more words.

Seth loves to wash his hands. I don't think he's OCD or anything, I think it is just a fun thing to do independently. In the downstairs bathroom, Seth positions the step stool and can turn the water off and on by himself. Mommy dispenses the soap. After rinsing, he knows to then go dry on the towel which for some odd reason is on the opposite wall of the sink. Then, Seth will repeat this process as many times as you will let him.

Whenever Seth sees a pillow laying around on the floor, he likes to give it a try.

Seth is a great sleeper. I simply put him in his crib with a pacifier, cover him up and say goodnight.

I might come back and add some other Seth quirks as I think of them, but for now, just know that we are really enjoying our not-so-baby baby boy.

5 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

see? the downside of fb is that i already knew about the bday, and i already left my well-wishes. now i feel redundant. although the pic of him opening his presents is almost audible. i love it!!

mama bear said...

Happy birthday Seth! Looks like a fun Elmo-filled birthday, and now I want to go eat some cake. Good thing we just had a birthday too!

Papa Griner said...

Great post. The pictures are so good I feel as though I am at the party. Seth is quite the boy.

The Griner Family: said...

We miss you guys! I know Ainsley would just love to play with Seth!

Ella said...

What? I never commented on this one either? I've been really lazy on the computer lately. Even letting my Google Reader fill up to 50 or so before I finally check it. Anyway, I think Seth's hair cut is really cute. BUt now that I see the family photo underneath I can see what you were pining for. It can always grow! I can't believe Seth is 2 already!