Friday, October 30, 2009

What I'm Watching

I'm not much of a TV buff. I'm usually asking those that are watching TV at my house to turn it down or turn it off, or I'm giving the viewer an evil stare that says "change the channel."

However, I really got into the last season of The Biggest Loser and had lots of fun watching the shrinking Kristen, Mike, Felipe and Sione? (was that his name?)- just to name a few. So, I was all ready for my second season (which is actually the 8th season of the show.) It's been only so-so for me. I am going to scream if one more person volunteers to go home! Granted, I thought that when the red team (Antoine and Sean) bowed out when they were up for elimination against Shay and Daniel that they were awesome. But since then people have been shooting themselves in the foot without merit. What was Mo thinking? I liked Mo and wanted him to stick around. Tracy was totally packing her bags and then Mo says "Look, I haven't been pulling my fair share, I am the worst teammate. You should really send me home." Huh? And then last night Abby lets the black team off the hook (and really, like Liz said, that would have been some good drama seeing who they would have chosen) by saying how much she wants to go home. I thought the object of the game was to stay in as long as possible! Well, I'm ready to see some people fight it out. And why isn't Bob getting equal face time as Jillian? Oh, because Jillian's black team has the most emotional issues I guess. Sigh...



Well, I have added another show to my repertoire- The Mentalist. Long ago when this show first came out I was intrigued by the previews. Cute blonde guy walks into the scene of a crime and zeroes in on details overlooked by the untrained eye. I just thought it looked interesting, but I had no idea when the program was actually on and figured it was past my bedtime anyway. We don't have tivo or anything like that. But, we do have Netflix. So I'm making my way through season one and am enjoying these snippets of suspense sprinkled with the comic relief of Simon Baker. It's been nice, and strange, to look forward to folding laundry as I can now do it during an episode of The Mentalist.

The Mentalist has acute senses that would come in handy in many situations. For instance, imagine a Visiting Teacher- mentalist style. (Please bear with me here.) You visit your sister (let's call her Sis. Jones) as you faithfully do at least once a month, but this time, you are channeling The Mentalist. In three short minutes you will glean more information than you did during that terribly long and dull conversation you had last time. As you approach the house something feels "off." Ah-ha, a flower pot has recently been shifted 2 inches to the left. You know this because you see a circle of dirt where the pot used to be. Instantly, you assume that the porch hasn't been swept since Sis Jones' teenage boy let himself in the house late last night after retrieving the house key from under the pot. Poor Sis Jones. Her new calling as YW president must have her terribly preoccupied and distracted for her to be slacking in basic housekeeping tasks like front porch maintenance. You knock on the door. The absence of dogs barking tells you that Mitzy and Fido are either gone for a grooming appointment or they have passed on to greener pastures. You make a mental note to sensitively ask about the mutts. Sis. Jones greets you with a smile and graciously takes from you the plate of Pillsbury ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookies that you hope appear to homemade. As she takes the plate, your eyes are drawn to Sis. Jones' freshly manicured, and quite expensive looking, fingernails. Now you are certain that her hubby got that promotion the family had been hoping for.

Okay, that was total nonsense. Pathetic that I have to entertain myself sometimes concoctions of my imagination. Could some funny people please visit me sometime so I have something else to laugh about? Geesh. And oh, when does American Idol start up again? I like that one too.

1 comment:

Ella said...

That's true, everyone does seem to be volunteering to go home. I like your acute visiting teaching scenario. I am definitely the opposite of the Mentalist. I am so unobservant. The kids look awesome, although, Princess Leia seems to have a scary claw hand that I don't remember :). The pumpkins are great. It's funny to see the differences.