Monday, February 28, 2011

Put your hands together for...

Jackie Robinson!


Paul chose to study about Jackie Robinson for his Black History Month project. I really enjoyed reading about Jackie with Paul and was very proud of Paul for staying on top of his assignment. (Whew. No small feat.) I would ask Paul to write a few things he learned, but I don't really feel like pulling teeth right now.

Jackie Robinson is known for breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball because he was the first African-American to play on an MLB team. When a man named Branch Rickey was scouting for the Dodgers, he wanted to make sure that Jackie not only had the skills to play but that he had a strong enough character to withstand the tauntings and persecutions that would likely come. Jackie resolved that he would turn the other cheek and went forward to show the world that skin color should not dictate who played sports and on what teams they were allowed.




Paul's teacher, Mrs. O is known for making learning fun, and she set this project up as a talk show. I was busy snapping pictures of Paul's interview when I heard Mrs O. say, "Well, Jackie, you have a little fan!" Seth had made his way up on stage to stand by his big brother. The 4th graders got a real kick out of it.

Paul remembered lots of facts to share in his interview and kept a big smile the whole time. Way to go, Paul... I mean Jackie!

No comments: