


I often think of how great it would be to have a cute picture of my four little angels together and I wonder why these photos are few and far between. But then I am quickly reminded.

On the morning of the fourth we aim to be at the park by 10 (since we never manage to acquire a frog or turtle for the 9 o'clock races) when the kids enjoy races like the sack race, egg on a spoon race, and egg and water balloon toss. No ribbons were won this year but memories of Olivia's hands covered in egg and Paul's face covered in water will serve as sufficient souveniers. The kids also liked playing on the playground equipment, while I chatted with my BFF from high school and scanned the crowed for old classmates and friends. So fun to see a child and think "that is a mini So-and-So" and watch as they end up going to Mom or Dad So-and-So. Did that make sense?
Here are some photos of the kids playing at the park. (I think Olivia was off trying to find out how she could register to be next year's Hannah Montana impersonator. Actually, she hopes to mix it up a bit by growing out her hair, bleaching it blonde and appearing as special guest Taylor Swift.)





And these were by far the cutest spectators...

The occasional drizzle of rain kept us from overheating during the morning and we went back to my Mom and Dad's for a delicious lunch of brisket, Mom's Marvelous Potato Salad, baked beans, and rolls. Birthday cake served as dessert as Mom and Dave celebrated another year.


Happy Birthday to the kindest mother and most loving husband a girl could have!
The highlight of our trip is often being able to see the cousins get together. This year we enjoyed being with Andy and Sara's family- Aubrey, Caleb, and Ainsley Dawn. (We missed Nate and Ella and Co.)

Andy brought a slip and slide and though the surf board action was apparently false advertising, the kids had fun getting wet, at first timidly...

until Uncle Andy and Dave showed the kids how it was done...








Oops, that last one was a special pose just for me. Sorry girls.
Papa Griner braves being in the middle of 6 children ages 2-10 with a heavy stick when he hangs the pinata and very meticulously maintains security and order.




Caleb cares nothing for the candy, just wants to get his hand on a punching balloon.

Following, is the first photo I've taken of my neice Aubrey when she actually looked my direction. I was floored when she put her hand on her hip and gave me a little smile. I guess she is finally warming up to me after 5 years of seeing me sporadically.

Not pictured is a paddle boat ride on the lake, fireworks a la Dave and Uncle Andy, and the town fireworks show that evening.
The drive home on Sunday (during the day) proved to be much more of a challenge than that peaceful night's drive down, but we survived. Near Fulton, MO Dave gave us a brief history lesson on Winston Churchill and he and the kids visited a statue and part of the Berlin wall while I creatively handled a dirty diaper in the grass without wet wipes. That kind of makes for a stinky ending but that's about all I have to report for the weekend.

Wait! If you have gotten this far, I commend you. And you will be rewarded with a speech writen by our Livvy. She typed this on Grandma's computer the night before the festivities and meant to read it when we were all gathered but forgot. So she read it to us on the way home...
4th of July
by Olivia Hope
Fourth of July isn't about the fireworks, or the fun fireworks for kids. It's about our country. We celebrate for when our country was born and for our freedom.
I'd have to admit that I've gotten a little carried away... well a lot, but we should have honor for our country's freedom, and for the soldiers who have went to wars and risked their lives for our freedom and our country. So we need to give thanks for those who risked their lives. And "how can we do that?" you might ask. Let me answer that one...when you hear the star spangeled banner think of those who have done such a great thing and think for how hard we have had to go into battle, fight against an enemyand then help them in some kind of battle. We must give thanks for our nation's bravery, honesty, truth, and our nation's freedom. Think of our nation's great courage. I'd like to let you know that when you are listening or singing some of them think hard, think as hard as you can about our nation's freedom and birth.
And, really, if you've read this whole thing you must be a really true friend, or extremely bored. Let me give you a little heads up to reward you for your loyalty, or boredom. I am going to be hosting a Clairish giveaway on this blog very soon. So check back often 'cause I don't want you to miss it.
6 comments:
i really did read it all. first off, as always, i applaud your photography. please email with details on which lens you used, and whether you shot on manual or not.
i can't believe how much you favor your mom.
you cracked me up with your sexy dave pose. sorry ladies. sometimes you are so hilarious. it's one of my favorite things about you. that dry wit.
i'm seriously impressed with olivia's writing. she has spunk. and she is a good writer. i wonder where she gets that from...
lastly, i thank you for not posting pictures of your diaper incident. i sort of tasted bile when i read about it.
What a fun day! Charli has been rehearsing her Hannah Montana songs on her Karaoke machine and wants to put on a concert. She even went around in sunglasses, her Hannah Montana wig and costume we found on clearance after Halloween. Could you call your parents and see if your dad could pull out the old tennis rackets for us to do backup for the girls? Maybe we could do the concert next year at the park? Tell Dave nice shot on the slip n slide!!
Wow for Olivia! I think that kids in the army have a better understanding of freedom and our country.
Love the pictures. We had a blast hanging out with you guys. Andy was suppose to call you and ask permission to use some of your pictures...I am not thinking he called. Sorry! Happy Birthday Dave!!
I wish I could have seen you when your were back. Your kids are so cute! Tell Olivia I thought her story was great! Pretty impressive for a 10 yr old! There are a lot of people who need to read that and take note!
What a great holiday you had. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your beautiful pictures of your family. I love your writing style. I see that your daughter takes after you. She writes well. She has great insight about our country and freedoms. Thanks for sharing.
clair - i didn't have time to read the whole post (the kids are swarming) BUT i must say that your photos are SO GREAT! that class must have been awesome. i am STILL trying to wrap my head around depth of field. and your super fast shutter speed ones around the water fun are SO GREAT!
ok, one kid is crying now. gotta runnn
Post a Comment