I swear I wash about 37 bath towels a week. These range from baby/toddler size to full beach towels, from faded blue to Loony Tunes. They usually show up in random hampers (after I pick them up off the floor) taking up space and making one person's laundry take two cycles to finish instead of one. On top of the overwhelming numbers, I'm tired of finding towels lying forgotten behind bathroom doors, souring in someones closet, or on occasion decorating the downstairs living area which is no where near the grooming facilities.
I have been thinking about this for awhile and had a vague idea of what I wanted to do but wasn't quite sure how to execute it. I knew that I wanted each child to have two towels total, and that the towels needed to be easily identifiable as belonging to a particular child. I thought I might need to have names embroidered on them, but that would have gotten costly. So I was very excited to find nice-sized, plush bath towels in a rainbow of colors at Wal-mart for $3.52 each. The best part was that each solid color of towel had a coordinating white towel with trim in a matching color.

So now, I hang out either solids or whites for the week. The kids know that they are responsible for hanging up their towel after bathtime. If the don't, by golly, Mama is gonna know right away who is the guilty slob.
Almost as exciting as the organization made possible by these towels is the opportunity that I had to photograph them. I have always admired photos of stacks of pure white towels (sometimes with a baby on top) or vivid bright ones rolled up and perfectly arranged in a basket. But never until now did I own any towels that would have been aesthetically pleasing to photograph. So I'm pretty happy about the towels!
As for the random towels that have been replaced, some are going bye-bye and the others are being put in the garage to use for big messes as needed. Although Dave and I could use towel upgrades, I didn't want to spend the money at the same time. I think I'll save up for some really nice bath sheets and do the embroidery thing. Dave's is gonna say "DO NOT leave wet towel on bed or floor !!!!!!!!!!" I will use as many exclamation points as I can afford. ;)
6 comments:
Such a good idea!!! The kids are growing out of the hooded towels they got several years ago and I was just thinking how I could figure out this whole thing the other day! I also LOVED your last towel tip!
you slay me. continually.
this is a great idea though... my favorite part is people having their own towels, all the time. that makes good sense...
noted.
LOVE THIS!!! Clair, you are a brilliant Mama:) Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
Great Idea Clir. I think I need to run off to WalMart now! :)
That is a good idea.. we don't have different color towels for everyone, but we do put them in a certain place... but I like your idea even better! And I LOVE new towels..
And just a suggestion, I know what an animal lover you are :) you may want to donate the bye bye towels to a shelter. I know around here they are always wanting used towels
I found you from your comment on Andrea's blog...I love your pictures and I LOVE this idea, we need new towels desperately. Now I know what get!
Post a Comment