Before I get to my word, let me say that I really am not one to get excited about New Year's day. It is just another day- one that ends up being harder to face due to lack of sufficient sleep the night before. This year I even mentioned to a couple of people that "I just don't get it," and they pretty much ignored me. I wanted to instigate a discussion addressing the questions-- Why all the hoopla? Why is January 1st such a GREAT time to set a goal? Don't people usually give up on their "resolutions" by mid Ffaithebruary? Anyway, I just don't catch the spirit of resolutions, but my mind kept getting drawn back to this "one little word" idea.
Why did "one little word" entice me when the thought of resolutions did not? When I think about the different areas that I need to improve in and just how much improvement I need, I feel overwhelmed and discouraged. I guess that's why I am so hesitant to set some big, challenging goal and resolve that I am going to be perfect at it. I think I will fail. Ah ha- the truth comes out! On the other side of things, not having a goal or a plan (I do like to make plans) leaves me to be tossed to and fro by the wind. Not being in control is a terrible feeling for a control freak. So, the thought of choosing a word to be my compass for the year 2011 became more and more appealing to me, and the word I have chosen is faith.
I have three main areas in which I hope to develop and demonstrate faith-- spirituality, physical health, and gratitude.
My faith will grow as I strengthen my relationship with my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ as I do two simple things daily- read my scriptures and pray. I know that when I am consistent I will be closer to the Spirit, enabling me to be a better person as I receive inspiration and guidance in my life. Trying to fly solo is never the best way to go as I am reminded often.
I will have faith in myself that I can do hard things. Improving my health through regular exercise and improved nutrition is anything but easy for me. As I push myself physically, I will gain faith in my body's abilities and potential. As I practice taking care of myself, I believe that I will come to love and appreciate myself, getting a glimpse of who Heavenly Father wants me to be. For now, I simply need to have the faith that I am of great worth and that I deserve to take better care of myself.
The final area I wish to concentrate on in terms of faith is having gratitude. I recently taught a Relief Society lesson on gratitude and came across a principle that was new to me, but made perfect sense. Having gratitude is having faith. Sis Bonnie D. Parkin spoke in an April, 2007 General Conference talk of the leper (the one out of the ten) who gave thanks to Christ after being healed. She said, "the leper’s expression of gratitude was recognized by the Savior as an expression of his faith... Gratitude is our sweet acknowledgment of the Lord’s hand in our lives; it is an expression of our faith." I want to be faithful by recognizing the many blessings in my life. By being content with what I have and thanking Heavenly Father for his constant tender care.
That's it. Those are my goals... I mean focus for 2011.

James 2:18 "...I will shew thee my faith by my works."
I will post this scripture to encourage me and remind me that faith is not about wishing or hoping. It is more than just believing. It is about believing and doing.
Gotta do it!
4 comments:
Been trying to think of a word myself. Faith is a good one and I like how you defined it within specific areas of your life. Go forth, believe and do!! God bless.
I would like to have a word... but can't seem to think of just one word.. yours is a great one.. good luck to you!
That one word idea is amazing! I love it. And I love this post. You're awesome.
this is brilliant, claire. so well written and insightful. i loved it!!
Post a Comment