Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Can't Keep a Good Man Down




...even a little one! After taking a tumble down some stairs, my baby has a cast all the way up his right leg. (Yes, I said "some" because I have no idea how many stairs it was. I did not see the fall I only heard the sickening "bonk...bonk...cry!")

I was thanking the Lord that Seth seemed fine after I examined him for bumps and bruises. It was almost nap time so after cuddling for a little bit and emotionally recovering (both him and me,) I put my baby down for a nap and he slept fine.

However, after nap (both his and mine,) Seth was hesitant to walk and it was apparent that he was favoring one leg. So we were off to the ER. X-rays showed that he "might possibly have a small fracture, or it could just be the way he is." Uh... yeah... I love the ER. We were sent home with Seth's leg in a splint and orders to report to the orthopedic clinic in the morning.

So the doctor is thinking "like mother, like son" when he realizes that just a few short months ago he treated me for a wrist fracture that I acquired when I... yes... say it with me now... fell down the stairs. Another couple of x-rays and the x-pert reported no visual indication of a fracture. Still, it was obvious that the right leg was tender whenever Seth would try to bear weight on it, so the doc ordered a long leg cast to immobilize the leg for protection for 10-14 days. (Despite telling the receptionist that I wanted my follow up in 10 days, she gave it to me in 13. She must have never had a toddler of her own in a cast.)

So... the leg has been immobilized. Seth has not. Watching him get around is both cute and pitiful. Yesterday, the big kids went out to play some catch and this little man was determined to be right in the middle of it all.


11 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i want to eat him up! and i'm loving faith's hair. so healthy and perfect. i'm jealous.

dave had better watch his back. if he doesn't do things your way for awhile, you could imply that child and family services would enjoy perusing the family medical records...

Clair said...

dave has a solid alibi for both accidents :)

buttercup said...

Seth doesn't look any worse for the wear. Hopefully that cast will come right off in "13" days!

Ella said...

Seth is adorable! And I was thinking along the same lines as the first commenter. This could start looking fishy! :)

Jennifer said...

Oh.. he is so cute.. I love him running around with the pacifier in his mouth! Doesn't look like the cast bothers him too much... At least it must be semi-warm there since he is just in a diaper... I bet that is a pain trying to get pants over!

VanillaDreamer said...

Ok new rule, you need to only live in a one story house! I have never understood why they make so many 2 story houses on base when the majority of the families that live in them have small children. He looks adorable in his cast and it looks like he is getting around well on it! Hopefully the weather stays warm enough that pants won't be needed. I can't imagine dressing Katara if she had a cast on as her leg would turn into a weapon! Thanks for the update.

mama bear said...

Oh, my goodness that is crazy! We have had so many tumbles down the stairs and other things, I just know our turn is coming. What a little sweetheart, that has got to be the cutest little cast I've ever seen!

The Griner Family: said...

WOW!!! I am now extremely thankful and feel blessed that Ainsley only broke her elbow! I cant imagine! What is with the Griner Grandkids?!!!

Melanie said...

So sorry..yet so darn cute!
It doesn't appear to have slowed him down any.

Keep us in the know.

jessica said...

...found you through Andrea's blog. I was so flattered that my comment was your favorite, I had to pop over and formally introduce myself.

My little guy is 15 mos old and he is a wild man. I am so scared he is going to break something! It's good to see that a full leg cast doesn't bring a little man down.

Janeal said...

My youngest broke his leg at almost the exact same age. He did it while I watched him jump off the couch. I did say, "you better not jump; you might get hurt" but in my head I was thinking "it's just the couch." So he jumps off, screams and won't walk on his leg. I put him to bed and didn't take him to get x-rays until the next morning when he wouldn't walk on it. Funny how adaptable they are. It was kind of nice to have him hobbled for a few weeks. :)