Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep


After admiring the work of this charity for several months, after mustering the courage to submit an application to become a part of it, and after being approved and completing additional paperwork, I am happy to say that I am now a volunteer photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep.

NILMDTS offers families the opportunity to have professional photographs taken of their precious little ones whose time on earth is expected to be brief. A sensitively taken photograph serves as a tangible memento of sacred moments spent together and can be a comfort during the grieving process.

Please visit the NILMDTS website to learn more about this organization. I share this information in hopes that it may be remembered and shared with anyone who might benefit from infant remembrance photography services.

I enjoyed reading this blog post from Jodie, a mom and photographer in St. Louis. In relating her experience of photographing a couple and their newborn son, she said, "not one small iota was about me." That rings so true! Of course I question in my own mind whether or not I am a strong enough person to hold myself together enough to be helpful and professional in such a tender situation. Of course I question whether or not my skills and equipment are good enough to do justice to capturing something so near to heaven. But, I am going to push those thoughts aside and remember... "it is not one iota about me." It is about the family and their love for their child. It is about providing something tangible for the family to look on with fondness and hope. It is about recording and documenting a small part of an eternal relationship.

While I know that I alone will never be worthy of such a task, I also know that I will not be alone. I know God will lend me strength and and guide my hand during a difficult yet sacred time. Just as birth, a spirit leaving the presence of God, is sacred; so is death, a spirit reuniting with God. I pray that I and my camera can be an instrument in God's hands. I will surely rely on Him.

Click here to watch a segment about NILMDTS from NBC's Today Show.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

I have heard of this. I think it's wonderful that you are volunteering. Please keep us updated as to when you are ever called to this most special job. Your hands will surely be directed from Him above.

the wrath of khandrea said...

at the risk of sounding trite or condescending, i am so proud of you. this is remarkable. i cry at windex commercials, so there is no way i could do it. looking forward to your experiences.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are a part of this organization, I wish this had been available to my mom when my sister died, the only photos she has is a few polaroids.

Emily said...

Clair,
Thank You for sharing. As I read Jodie's words and the feelings...thank you...this is what was needed in my life tonight.
How tender and loving and of course it reminds me what is needed and what is important.
Thank you.

Jennifer said...

This is awesome Clair. I have seen this before and I think it is one of the most special things anyone could do for someone else. I am so proud to know someone who is taking a part in this!

Ella said...

Wow Clair, that sounds like a great way to volunteer your talents. It really is such a special thing they do.

mama bear said...

I had heard of this organization before, but I didn't realize it was voluntary. Wow, that is amazing! I know you will have some beautiful experiences, and it's probably okay if you cry a little!

juliea said...

Wow, Our RS is doing a service project making tiny booties, hats and blankets for premature births so that the families can bury their child in something. I'm so glad to hear about this organization. I will pass it on. You are amazing for sharing your time and talents. You will do great. Thanks for your example and love.

Monica said...

Oh..I must have missed this post!! That is so incredible that you will be doing this for these families. I may do it down the line...if I could do it with out breaking down!