The good is NOT that we are being transferred to Hawaii. In fact, it is even better. I am losing weight. I've been diligently counting calories and exercising three times a week and have lost 8 lbs in my first four weeks. I know it will take a very long time to get to a healthy weight, but I'm on my way. It truly is a simple science- eat less, move more. Though I know people are just trying to be helpful, I get frustrated when someone tries to sell me on this plan or that plan-- "You must eat two stalks of celery and one whole wheat pita over the course of 7 minutes. Immediately after, do 18 1/2 jumping jacks while holding 3 lb weights and singing "Eye of the Tiger" in the key of C." It's really not that complicated.
After years of neglecting my physical health, I am starting very simply with baby steps, and they are working! My little helpers are a food diary that I keep on the computer, 64oz of water, my Cher fitness VHS that has been dusted off from the college days, and my new Biggest Loser Workout video.

If anyone wants to talk more about the specifics or needs a battle buddy, drop me an email and we will chat!
Now, for the bad... My piano room still qualifies as the laundry dumping ground. Here it is today. Not much different from the day I began "The Laundry Experiment."

I am almost ready to throw my hands up and just say "forget about it." My attempts to do ALL the laundry on Mondays has been sabotaged repeatedly with no school holidays, appointments, and other distractions. I considered going back to FLYlady's a little a day keeps the wrinkles away, but then I got an encouraging note with tips from my sister Ella that made me think, perhaps I should give it one more try. To read her tips go to The Laundry Experimentthe post and look at the comments.
For now, the saga continues. Did anyone else give the all in one day thing a try? How did it go? What works for you?
7 comments:
Ok, Hawaii?!?! I want to be weight loss buddies...I've gained nearly 30 lbs since December:( Email me so we can help keep each other in check!
Clair- You really had me motivated with the all day monday laundry idea. I have tried for the last 2 weeks with no success though. I would like to say that I have many excuses (which I really do) but excuses will always be there....Do you have a special order in which you clean and fold the clothes?? Andy is starting to get frustrated!
I tried to do all my laundry in one day and then I moved to Germany and had to share the laundry room with the rest of the building.
I now do several small loads a few days a week. An all day marathon is not the greatest way to get it done. I AM JUST THANKFUL I NEVER HAD TO WASH MY LAUNDRY ON A ROCK OR BY HAND. I am still fighting the laundry demon and some day I think I will win---I am getting closer but it has taken the kids moving out of the house to get closer to my goal!
love your complicated workout regime... sadly, there is probably somebody somewhere who adheres to it. crazy.
congrats on the 8 pounds! keep on keepin on. you are accomplishing great things thus far in 09.
It truly is the only "real" way to lose weight. And, don't lose more than about two pounds a week or it won't be the kind of weight that you actually want to lose and will come right back. I love your example of exercise regimens. It really does feel like that doesn't it?
As for laundry, I do a load a day (although that is the one thing I am pretty good about). I always fold them straight from the dryer. That way, no wrinkles and it forces you to do it right then. I love your blog. Keep up the good work. Feel free to come walk with us Mon, Wed, and Fri after buses come.
I just wanted to say congrats on your weight loss! I wish I could get motivated to lose this year. I know I need to, but am having a hard time getting into the groove! Good luck!
Yeah Clair!!! I'm working on losing weight this year too. So far I've lost 9 pounds. Drinkng water and doing this workout video called Praise Moves as well as being more active with my family. My sweet hubby got me a bike so we've gone on a couple of family bike rides.
Stinking laundry...I have to do a load or two a day to keep it clean. Now, the kids each have a week to fold it and then we all put our own stuff away. It works out pretty well if I can let go of things not being folded the way I like it! So far so good:)
Post a Comment