Well, it never fails that around this time of year symptoms increase for me. Soon after we switch our clocks back and our days get shorter with the sun setting so early, I start to feel that loss of light. Irrational and fearful thoughts come more frequently and small tasks can seem overwhelming.
Since I cannot increase my medication, I try to recognize my fears for what they are and tell myself that the anxiety I feel, though very real to me, is not a true reality but a skewed perception that is influenced by a mental illness. (I'm wondering if that made sense.) It is a challenge to find a proper balance between being busy enough to keep my mind occupied with good things and not being so busy that I want to sink under the weight of too many responsibilities.
So, I've just been thinking of others that might be in the same boat and wanted to put out a word of encouragement and empathy. The sun will shine bright and long again, but for now just know that you are not alone. I don't mind talking about my illness and for anyone that wants to learn more or compare notes I'm very up for that. Though I don't find many opportunities to do so, I often feel a desire to share my story in the hopes that it might comfort someone else.
Meanwhile, I've been thinking a lot of this Book of Mormon scripture:
Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Having a mental illness is just one of my many weaknesses and when I get discouraged it is good to be thankful for the humility that comes with recognizing weakness- a humility that reminds me to turn to a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior who will share my burden. (I'm looking forward to Spring.)
1 comment:
i will be emailing you. this is the busiest week ever, but we should chat more.
i'm sure you'll be waiting with baited breath. bated breath, that is. baited breath would be wormy, i assume. ew.
Post a Comment