
Anyone else overwhelmed with the day to day? I have been in mere "survival mode" for a while now. For me, "survival mode" is just accomplishing the bare minimum of what has to happen in the home to keep it functional-- feeding the family, having clean clothes to wear, clean dishes to eat off of...you get the picture. In "survival mode" you can forget any home decor improvements, scrapbooking time (or whatever you like to do), or baking cookies just because. This is just not happening.
I want to move beyond survival mode! I want to make my home functional AND pleasant! Serenity Now! The good news is, I know how to do it. (I just haven't been doing it.) I learned about the FLYlady system several years ago. I fondly look back on a few of weeks of PEACE that I had as I followed her advice. I remember the joy of baking cookies just because I felt like it and just because the kitchen was clean!
I want to get that peaceful feeling back! I want to feel that I am in control of my home, not the other way around. And it would be much more fun if anyone would like to join me! FLYlady is about baby steps, jumping in where you are at, and using 15 minutes increments of effort to make improvements. My hope is that we can encourage each other by sharing our process and progress as we go along. I promise I won't ask you to post any embarassing pictures like mine above- though you are welcome to if you want to make me feel better. I don't want this venture to add any stress to your already busy lives-- I want it to be a fun and encouraging learning experience. I hope that stress will actually diminish as we share the burden and help each other along...and find our floors again. Sound good?
Before you decide, become familiar with the FLYlady philosophy and system by reading a bit on her website www.flylady.net. (Or click under my LOVE HER! category to the left.) There is so much info on this site that it can be overwhelming to try to take it all in so, I suggest going to the Table of Contents link on the left of the home page. Then in the first pink box read some of the Why Fly? articles. If it sounds like something you want to tackle, let me know and we can do this together!!! (Feel free to invite any friends to join us.)
What next? If you jump on board, I thought we could begin by developing and sharing routines- specifically, the Before Bed and Morning routines. I will update my post a bit later with my routines. (Gotta work on them.) To learn about FLYlady's routines go to the Table of Contents again. In the 2nd pink box on the left you will see the category As You Progress. Then click on Examples of FLYlady routines. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you want. Don't feel like it has to be a masterpiece- it is just a place to start and you can change it anytime.
If I have some FLY friends, I would like do a weekly post focusing on one aspect of the system. What day would be best? I'm thinking a Monday morning post (maybe earlier) with something for us to concentrate on/ share during the coming week. Okay, so I'll just kick back and see who wants to play. Well actually, I better go shine my sink...
Time for me to fly...
5 comments:
is there a FLYLADY program for personal hygiene? if so, someone needs to introduce REO to it. they just ain't what they used to be. time to stop fighting the feeling, guys. comb your hair.
sadly, one of the traits of an OCD chick is anal retentive cleanliness. is there a REVERSE fly lady? one that says QUIT MOPPING YOUR STINKING FLOOR FOR 15 MINUTES? my kids' rooms could use some work, but i don't clean their rooms. can we tie that in?
i do have one kitchen counter where everything accumulates. i want to play, so let's figure out how to work my kitchen counter into the program. it's where all the mail, school work, flyers, etc. get dumped. i'll send you a picture.
to Andrea- That kitchen counter sounds like a "hotspot" to me and yes, Flylady can help you with that. Maybe those that are Born Organized, like you, can share some of the things you already do that work for you. For example, do you have routines that you do every morning and night? Hint- Some psychologist like to refer to them as "rituals." And darn, I got the wrong kind of OCD. You really should have waved me over when we were in the mental illness distribution lines. I think I'd rather obsess about cleaning my house than whether or not it will catch on fire.
oh how I love flylady, I even bought her control journal and use it, well I use it to hold all of our info and my routines which I don't do;) I too have been trying to fly here lately. I think a mini "fly show" type post would be great! I'll be staying tuned!
I might be interested in this if you can help me sign up so I don't get 2010 e-mail reminders from Fly Lady like before!
Clair,
I have been reading flylady all night. I didn't think I would be into it, but I am! Have you ever tried the getting dressed to the shoes part? I definitely want to start that. I wear sweat pants EVERYDAY! Not only do I want to run and hide if I hear the doorbell but I'm even embarrassed to open the door to check our mailbox (which is on the house right by the door) just in case a neighbor might spot me. I think getting dressed could make me a better mom. Anyway, I like all of her cleaning ideas too. So, I'll be putting together my routines soon! But I want to read everything to know what I'm getting into. I can't do just these baby steps without peeking ahead. I like to be ready to totally go for it. I hope to start hard-core on March 3.
Post a Comment