Friday, February 29, 2008

Thoughts on the Savior

I just read about "Reflections of Christ," an art exhibit that is being shown at the visitors' center of the Mesa Arizona Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is being displayed in conjunction with an Easter Pageant. I was able to go to youtube and watch some clips of the photographer Mark Mabry working with the crew and actors to set up these amazing scenes. It was very interesting to see the spiritual preparation that went into these works of art, and I liked learning a bit about the technical considerations as well.

As I was wrapping up my browsing of different segments, the following clip really hit me. It's called Healing the Blind and the actor who portrays Christ shares his thoughts...


I was really struck by the simple statement... "the power of God is made manifest in our lives through our weakness...those weaknesses are the means by which we draw close to Christ."

I am glad to be reminded just how our weaknesses can be blessings when we recognize them with humility and seek for Christ's help. He loves us as we are and wants to bless us. Instead of berating ourselves for being less than perfect, instead of having self-pity because our lot is hard, we should use our challenges to come closer to Christ- let Him make up for what we lack and borrow His strength.

I looked up Ether 12:27 in the Book of Mormon. This verse also drives home the same point "...I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me..." Just as the man in the story was not made blind because of his sin or that of his parents, our weakness are not given to us because we somehow don't deserve better. Weaknesses are a part of mortality, and we grow as we cope with them and do our best to improve. This process helps us become closer to Christ and become more like Him.

For more info on this project you can visit the Reflections of Christ Blog

3 comments:

mama bear said...

Thank you for this post, it was inspiring. My sharing time lesson today is on the Savior, I think I'll check out the link you suggested.

the wrath of khandrea said...

well said, clair! one of the hardest parts in overcoming adversity is to maintain perspective. i appreciate the way you wrote this. and i had to miss church today, so this was officially my gospel instruction. :O)

Anonymous said...

Clair,

Thank you so much. I went to the website and read and listened to most of the comments.

I am enjoying your blog, Jhona told me that she is flying with you.

Thanks again,

Linda O