
Today we celebrated Paul's birthday with a Pokemon party at our house with a few of his friends. I've been learning alot about this world of pocket sized monsters. I use to only know and recognize Pikachu- you know the yellow one with the lightning shaped tail. But now I can add several more characters to my vocabulary... there's Piplup, Chimchar, Turtwig, Squirtle, Ponyta, Clef...uh...well...that about does it.
First, the kids played outside in the backyard while we waited for everyone to arrive. I believe I heard the game was Pokemon tag. Then we played a round of "Pass the Pokemon" (like hot potatoe.)
The pizza came early and everyone must have skipped breakfast because they all ran to the table ready to eat right away! So we ate and then got back to the games. We played "Squirtle Says" (like Simon Says) and a game Olivia invented where we had to guess the Pokemon character based on an outline drawing. Finally presents, cake and ice cream and before we knew it, an hour and a half had flown by.


For anyone that cares about the cake you may keep reading. The rest of you are excused. How long has it been since I've made a homemade birthday cake? (By the way, "homemade" does not mean from scratch. Adding ingredients to a box mix is close enough for me.) It's been awhile. But when I saw an example of a Pokeball cake I thought I could handle it- and making my own would save me the 14.99 I'd pay Wal-mart to spraypaint a cake for me. I used two 9" round cake pans of chocolate cake, then added the white and red frosting. Had to purchase special "cookie decorating" red since you can't really make a true red at home. Used black licorice and an open oreo to divide the ball in half.

Before signing off, I just wanted to include one more picture of Paul that I love. On his actual birthday, Faith and I took cupcakes to his first grade class at lunch. Here he is being sung to by the entire lunch room. It was the loudest, hardiest rendition of "Happy Birthday" I've ever heard. Paul was cute. I didn't even get to get a picture of him with his cupcake. It was gone by the time I got my camera out. But here's my sweet boy...

PS- I remembered 2 more Pokemons- Bulbazaur and Jigglypuff... that brings me up to 9!
3 comments:
I am so with you on Pokemon...my boys LOVE Pokemon. Grace has started getting in on it too. Yeah for knowing characters names! I've had to ban "pokemon talk' from the table and church...pika pika doesn't cut it! I love your page and enjoy all your posts and pictures! Lots of love to you all!
Jhona O.
you are a MASTER! i bow down to you, like reynaldo lapuz before simon.
you know why i love it? because it was SO easy and so clever. i dread birthdays bc the pressure to have this outrageous theme party is overwhelming. i see a "pass the polly pockets" game coming up in april.
i'm very impressed that you know some names. jigglypuff is my favorite, mostly because he has a cute name. pat yourself on the back- you did great on this one!!
We have just discovered the joys of Pokemon here at the Brehm homestead- I still can not name any, but I have become rather creative when finding their toys, there is little bird guy, silver robot chess piece guy and a few more. Yeah on the cake as well that looks good, red icing is the hardest to make!
Post a Comment