
Menu planning used to be a huge ordeal that took too much time. I found myself sitting down every week starting from scratch trying to answer the question “what’s for dinner this week?” I’d dig through cookbooks and my recipe box and then have to go through each one to make a shopping list. Those things needed to be done, but why was I reinventing the wheel on a weekly basis? Often my shopping trips would get put off for another day because I wasn’t ready with a plan. Then I had to deal with a cranky family who was quick to let me know that there was nothing in the house to eat.
My friend Melinda encouraged me to make up a 4 week menu plan that I could repeat every month. At first I was sure I couldn’t come up with 28 different meals to fill the plan. I mean, it was hard enough coming up with 7 at a time. It is a significant under taking that takes time and thought, but it’s worth the investment because you do it once and reap the benefits forevermore.
How to plan your 4 week menu:
1. Think of all the main dishes that you normally have and write them all down. You might ask your family to brainstorm with you to make sure you don’t forget anyone’s favorites.
2. Look at your list and see what types of categories or themes exist among your dishes. Do you have a few Italian dishes? Crockpot meals? Seafood?
3. Choose seven categories/themes- one for each night of the week and write them across the top of a blank 4 week template.
Things to consider:
What nights do you have activities that make preparing meals a challenge? I plan quick and easy stuff like sloppy joes and grilled cheese sandwiches on Wednesdays because that’s church night. We call it picnic night. We use a red checkered tablecloth and paper plates (hardly any clean up) which works well for me cause the kids aren’t going to be around to do the dishes.
Do you frequently have food left over after each meal? Plan a leftover night.
Do you love grilling? Or using the crockpot? Assign a night for it.
Do you love trying new recipes? Assign a day for it and each week you‘ll need to fill in the blank.
4. From your original list, plug in the meals where they fit.
You probably have a few blank spots. Maybe you have a lot of blank spots. Are there meals from your #1 that didn’t fit into any of the categories? Are there categories for which you have only one meal? A miscellaneous night called “chef’s choice” or “anything goes” might be helpful. And it is okay to repeat a meal that is a family favorite. For example, we have spaghetti and burritos ever y other week cause they are crowd pleasers and I didn’t have a lot of Italian and Mexican dishes that my kids really liked. Do you have pizza every Friday? Wonderful- Friday is done! Expect to do some juggling and trial and error until you get your menu just how you want it. More blank spots? Try some new recipes for that category and make them a part of your menu when you get the family’s seal of approval.
Remember to be realistic. Don’t expect yourself to start making an elaborate meal every night if that is not something that you already do. Make sure that your menu is something you can and will want to follow. The most important thing about the menu is that it is functional for your family.
More on themes-My friend Melinda shared with me her philosophy that making ordinary things (like eating dinner) special was a way to create tradition and memories for my children. I fondly remember the food traditions of my own childhood Sundays-- Dad making homemade french fries to accompany our quick and easy after church meal and the bowls of popcorn we devoured in the evenings.
So because I have children of an age that I thought would enjoy the themes, I chose to get a bit more creative with them. I tried to make them sound exciting and also planned a little something to go along with each night to make it stand out.
These are my original themes:
Sunday- Fine Dining (also when I use the crockpot)- set the table using a nice tablecloth, nice dishes, and a fancy (though inexpensive) goblet.
Monday- Mambo Italiano- Italian background music.
Tuesday- Topsy Turvy- breakfast for dinner, set the table with country themed placemats
Wednesday- Picnic- red and white checkered tablecloth, paper plates
Thursday- Chef’s choice- the original plan was to have the children take turns helping mommy in the kitchen and choosing the meal but we didn’t keep up with it.
Friday- Fiesta Ole- Mexican background music
Saturday- Out and About- we ate out at a restaurant
We have since changed a couple of them-- We didn’t really like having breakfast for dinner THAT often so Topsy Turvy became Chicken 2night. Chef’s Choice is no longer a group effort. And in an attempt to be more frugal, we have done away with the eating out on Saturday and have Grill and Chill instead.
Don’t feel like your menus are set in stone. Plan to change things a bit as you learn what works and doesn’t, as your schedule changes, etc.
Grocery Lists
Next to never having to fumble when asked “what’s for dinner?” the best thing about a menu plan is that your grocery shopping will be more purposeful and efficient.
Take seven days of your menu beginning with the day you grocery shop. Go through each meal, consulting recipes as needed, and make a list of the ingredients you will need. I make a small list at the bottom of my page for staples (like brown sugar, chili powder, etc.) that you normally don’t need to shop for very often and circle any that I’m running low on.
Keep a copy of this list on your computer to print out each time that particular week comes around. It is your starting point for your shopping list. You add things you need for breakfasts, lunches and snacks and of course your household items.
Before you go to the store—
Look at your calendar and see if there are any days that you will not be eating at home or that you will need to do something different. For instance, maybe you want to plan something other than what is on your menu for a night of company. Were there any meals from the previous week that you shopped for but for some reason didn’t get to make that you would like to substitute for something on the upcoming menu? Make those adjustments to your menu and then adjust your grocery list accordingly.
Before I leave for the grocery store, I like to go through my fridge and pantry with my list in hand. I cross out any items that I already have.
Online resources:
Thirteen Reasons benefits of meal planning
Living Locurt 20 different weekly plans with recipes
Plan to Eat a subscription service to tools for meal planning but the blog (which is of course free) also has tips.
Menu Plan Monday see what others are making each week
Emealz monthly subscription service to weekly menus and shopping lists
Econobusturs free e-book on menu planning
1 comment:
i am seriously bearing my testimony about this over here. we don't do the themes, although it would be a fun twist. but the menu planning and running ingredient list? i can't imagine the chaos that would ensue without it.
Post a Comment