Monday, May 4, 2009

Awakening

The photography class I'm taking has me so excited I couldn't sleep past 4 am this morning, because I wanted to get back to this amazing art. I have been mentally transported back to my college years when I was (much blonder and thinner) drinking in all things art as an art ed major on the BYU campus-- thick paint, smooth paint, bright colors, soft colors, dramatic lines and organic shapes-- all realizing their glory in perfect compositions of abstract forms. This time was an awakening for this small town girl who'd taken one elective art class her senior year of high school. I know I've dozed off a bit during the twelve+ years since I graduated, but I just woke up!

In my class this week, the lesson is on implying motion by zooming, spinning, moving the camera up and down or even giving it a little jiggle. Some of Bryan Peterson's instruction is even available to the general public (people not fortunate enough to be in the class.) Here is a sampling: a la Monet and zooming and spinning.. The creative possibilities are endless, but what has me so excited is this rediscovery of how much I love abstract art- especially when the abstractions are derived from nature. Lovely!

So, yesterday on my way home from church (where the Mormon bushes and trees just didn't cut it), I stopped by another little church that had a nice little flower garden with lots of variety. I spun and zoomed and jiggled away. (Lucky for me and them, there were no parishoners.) A few shots were certainly reminiscent of THE impressionist painter Claude Monet and therefore were kinda neat to me. No disrespect to Mr. Monet, whom I recognize as a ground breaking artist, but his stuff, though very pretty, just never really did it for me. (I was much more wowed by Helen Frankenthaler and Jasper Johns.) Anyway, here are my flowers a la Monet...







Then there were some shots that were really speaking to me as the subject matter became less important than the colors and forms...







But, it's the shots in which forms were reduced to near or total abstraction that made my heart leap for joy. For class, we are to submit two of our favorites. How can I pick just two of these lovelies? And that first Monet shot is actually starting to grow on me. And what about the in-betweeners? Hmmm... Thank goodness for this blog, 'cause I gotta share more than two. And I'm just thinking- these are from a 20 minute experiment, imagine what else is out there! What other photos are begging to be taken? It blows my mind and it almost makes me want to throw portrait photography right out the door and... almost!









6 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i am basically an artistic fart, so what i'm seeing here is some blurry pictures of flowers.

HOWEVER... i am so caught up in your enthusiasm, that i can't stop smiling. that in and of itself is an art form, since i am cranky and cynical.

let me just say this, however: if i am going to swim naked through photos, i am opting for a different subject matter entirely.
'nuff said. you're amazing, clair.

Dottie, Chad, Heav, Court and CJ said...

Oh my Clair! You are completely amazing. I had absolutely no idea this type of picture could be accomplished with a camera. They are truly breathtaking.
My favorite is the 3rd one down in the first set. I would display that proudly in my home and allow people to think I have high-end art on my walls. :)
Again, you are amazing. Keep up the great work and the surprises.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful, I am a huge fan of abstract you should get on etsy and sell them because they are amazing! I can't wait until we move back to the states you may get a visit from the Brehm clan! Seriously you are so talented!

Linda said...

We just got baack from a week in Michigan and I showed Bill your photos. He loves the first one and the second to the last. He said you are very talented and he is going to take one of Bryan Peterson's classes as soon as he saves up some money.

Our next trip is to South Carolina so I guess we will be visiting the swamp again! Watch out Grandchildren! Doug's kids better be prepared when he shows up there again.

lisa slocombe said...

CLAIR! That is so cool, I think I would frame some of those!!!! very cool.

Ella said...

Have I seriously not commented on these yet? Umm...AMAZING! I was shocked to see that that can be done with a camera and couldn't wait to show Matt. We love them. Very cool. It almost makes me want to pick up a camera. I'm kind of agreeing with the etsy shop comment.