Friday, May 22, 2009

Gimme Five!


Faith turned 5 yesterday! I was getting myself ready for the day when I heard Faith exclaim from her room "I'm 5 today! I'm 5 today!" We celebrated with a neighborhood jungle theme party. I confess that the decorations for the jungle were a bit weak though there is an enormous weed that is growing in the back yard. But guests were abundant and so were hot dogs and giggles.

We invited 17 neighborhood children (seriously just a couple were not from the one cul-de-sac)and about 25 showed up! The kids played a little "Lion, Lion, Tiger" (aka Duck, Duck, Goose,) popped balloons in a relay, and of course spent plenty of time jumping on the trampoline. I only gave out 2 band-aids the whole evening.

Faith was a cutie in her red checked dress, and I take full responsibility for exposing everyone in attendance to her pink Dora underwear. I was just thinking "party dress" and not thinking about her sitting on a blanket eating dinner or jumping on the trampoline or lifting her skirt on purpose. I think "skorts" were made for birthday parties.

Dave was a very cute griller in his Broncos apron and hat though I couldn't tell him that 'till after the party because it took awhile for the shock and anger to wear off. The party started at 5:30 and Dave said he'd be leaving work between 3:30 and 4. (He knows how I get very stressed when company is coming and like to have someone to bark orders at and to remind me to calm down.) He was to pick up the cake on the way home. He called me at just about five and said, "Hypothetically, what would you do if I told you I was at Wal-mart to pick up the cake?" The cake was from the commissary not Wal-mart. At first I thought he was joking. He wasn't. That left me to pick up his array of lawn tools and flammable liquids that was in the backyard and do all the other stressful last minute things that need done.

Anyway, let's get back to the birthday girl. Faith was worried that she might have to go straight to kindergarten after turning 5. She did not want to leave pre-K too soon. Funny thing is that she only had one more day of pre-K left after her birthday.

So what is Faith like at age 5? She loves to get her nails painted and she loves to splash in mud. She likes to combine odd patterns of clothes, wear rainbow or plaid shoes, throw on a necklace and look like a rock star. When I asked her what a rock star was like she told me that rock stars were very good and obeyed their parents. She likes to be silly and make others laugh. She cannot leave scabs alone and currently has at least 5 notable bruises from a recent back crash and other playtime accidents. Faith is sweet with a little bit of sassy and we love her dearly and can't believe our little girl is becoming such a big one.



PS- We are in the middle of moving down the street and around the corner. We are moving from one housing area to another, and the new house is sooo nice I can't wait to get completely cleared out of the old. We got the key to the new place this morning and will be packing, cleaning, and unpacking over the next ten days. My mind has been overwhelmed lately and I have missed two important appointments and can barely remember the names and ages of all my kids, how many do I have? But I didn't want to miss a Faithy Birthday post so now you have it and now you know why I have been and might continue to be a bit scarce as far as blogging goes.

5 comments:

The Griner Family: said...

Yahoo!! Faith is 5. She is so cute! You must be super mom to throw a party and move the same week.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Faith and Hooray for new housing!!!

mama bear said...

Happy Birthday Faith! I love the phone picture. Clair, it's so funny how similar our lives always seem to be. We are having Kody's birthday (5) party this Saturday and moving one week later. I do wish it was just down the street and around the corner, we still don't have any clue where we're going!

Ella said...

Happy Birthday Faith! What a cutie. Great pics. And I can't believe she just went zooming off on the bike. Her training wheels must have been off kilter already!

The Griner Family: said...

Hey!!! We wanna see pictures from Livvy's party, please!