Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Child Whisperer- Giveaway!

This past month I've been devouring the information in Carol Tuttle's new book The Child Whisperer which is a book that encourages parenting children according to their own natures!  I have benefited from much of Carol Tuttle's advice in previous books like Remembering Wholeness, so I jumped at the chance to be a member of the book launch team for her very latest. Since the time I began learning more about myself through Dressing Your Truth, I have been longing for this child specific information.  And I have it in my hands!  It officially releases on Oct 23rd-- that's just 3 days away!

This is the book review I shared on Amazon:
The advice in this parenting book is so practical that you can use it and see results immediately! A greater understanding and respect between parent and child (and all family members) leads to more peace and more happiness in the home! I love the thoughtful approach that Carol Tuttle encourages--getting to know your child as an individual and viewing their true natures as positive attributes.

Carol leads the reader through very thorough profiles of four different natures (and at various stages!) that may be recognized in a child. Once a child's dominant nature is identified, the parent (grandparent, teacher, friend...etc.) can begin communicating and interacting in a way that best suits the child. Frustration and contention naturally give way to understanding and cooperation.

In just a couple of weeks' time since reading this book, I have felt a deepening bond with each of my children, and I am more considerate of their ideas and feelings as challenges arise. I am so grateful that Carol has written this book, sharing her expertise of energy profiling in a way that benefits families and encourages each of us to be our best self. I will be referring to "The Child Whisperer" again and again as I learn to better cheer on my children in all the good things that make them who they are!

Here's just one example of how understanding each of my children better is helping with the little daily challenges that make a big difference in the overall feeling of the home:  I have struggled with my 4 year old who becomes very upset when I ask him to repeat something he has said to me.  The more I insist that he repeat himself, the more angry grunts and groans I get in return.  Communication comes to a screeching halt in this situation.  But I learned from “The Child Whisperer” that my son feels like I am not valuing what he has to say when I don’t listen carefully.  Asking him to repeat something while going about my business is making sending him I message that I don’t care what he has to say.  So, just the other night when this same situation began to play out, I remembered the advice of “The Child Whisperer.”  I stopped what I was doing and turned to him with my full attention.  I told my son that I wanted to hear what he had to say and that I was going to look at him and listen very closely this time.  Sure enough, he didn’t mind repeating himself once more when he saw that I respected him.  He was also agreeable to answer a few follow up questions until I fully understood what was important for him to share with me.  What a relief!

It goes without saying, that I LOVE The Child Whisperer and am excited for you to have it too.  So.... hooray for a giveaway!  Leave a comment on this blog post telling me one thing you love about each of your children.   The winner, who will be selected at random on the morning of October 23rd, receives a book and over $300 in bonuses to go with it! 

17 comments:

Ella said...

Yay! Great review! My fingers are crossed!

Jane-love how she still pauses at times while playing with Jack and says, "You're so cute."

Jack-love how he gives genuine apologies. Many minutes after receiving his punishment, after he's calmed down, he will often seek out the offended and all by himself offer an "I'm sorry."

Hank-well, I love how he's like our little happy puppy, crawling from person to person just to spread his happiness.

Jhona O. said...

I'm excited about this book and will be reading it one way or another:)

Leif: I love how creative he is and to see his imagination come to life in his comics and artwork.

Lance: I love his courage and fearless spirit! He's so brave and I'm quite sure he strengthens my resolve because I have to endure his jumps and climbing.

Gracie: I love how tender her heart is and how fiercely loyal she is when you've captured her heart!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sister Dickson! I've been watching and reading everything you've been posting about this book and it's already been helpful! I really want to learn more and be the best parent possible. Logan is high energy and a couple of people have already made comments because they don't get why he won't sit and color for hours lie their little girl or something. But I LOVE his excitement for life and I know he will accomplish so much! (I also love his cuddles, his love for music, and when he randomly calls me "princess"! Pick me so I can learn more! :-)

Dottie, Chad, Heav, Court and CJ said...

The book sounds completely awesome! Thanks for the opportunity! <3

My Heaven is wonderful because she is smart, head-strong, and has a love of God.

My little prince CJ is such a delight because he is practical, crazy smart, and sooo funny.

Evelyn said...

I'll jump at the chance to win the book. I've been looking forward to the book release. Thanks, Clair.

I love my kids. I've got 3 very different types.

Evelyn is very creative and aware of nature and surprisingly insightful. She makes up songs on the piano, creates detailed beautiful pieces of art, and has great gospel understanding and insight.

Nathaniel is full of energy, fun, smart. He's a very quick learner and makes friends with everyone.

Megan is very determined, fiery, sweet, cuddly, and loves to please...but only when it suits her purposes. lol.

Jennifer Samuels said...

Madisen-Helps me late at night with the kids when she knows I am beat.
Holly- Has a beautiful voice and loves to belt out gospel songs with it.
Chase- 100% a momma's boy.. I always know he loves me!
Kylie...Is getting her personality, and is FINALLY telling me she loves me :)
I so need to read this book I think! I hope I am the winner :)

Steph said...

I would love to read this book. It's been a challenge figuring out what works for one kid doesn't necessarily work for the other. I love when I find different methods and I can tailor my parenting skills to each of my kids in their individual ways. Thanks for such a fun giveaway!!

Kyra is my sensitive, caring, giving girl. Usually willing to do whatever she can to help others.

Tory is a crack-up and can make smile daily. He's full of hugs and kisses and shares them often.

Carly is so energetic and full of spunk. She's my sweet and sassy munchkin who has kept me running the last 3 years. She's going to do amazing things someday.

Taysen is still pretty new and we're so in love with him. I'm excited to see his personality develop.

Marie said...

I love how my oldest daughter is so loving and kind to others!
I love how big of a heart my middle daughter is she really loves every living thing and she is such a crack up!
I love how my baby knows just when I need a hug from her and how comforting she is to everyone who is sad!

I can't wait for this book to come out I think this is just what I need to help me manage my kids through our upcoming deployment!

Desiree said...

Sounds like this would be a well of information!

Katarina - I love her curiosity for nature. She will spend hours finding them and then looking up information on BUGS of all things! She will even show and teach another child about them if they ask her! She is always teaching me something new about the insect world!

Piper - I love her energy. She is always dancing, bouncing, and talking. She can be quite exhausting some days, but she keeps life interesting. She is always showing me a new dance move!

Robyn said...

What a great giveaway, Clair!

Justin-I love that he loves to draw. His creativity is so fun! He is very protective of his siblings. He loves to spend time with me :)

Sophia-She has way too much energy and sass for her own good (and it often gets her in trouble) but most of the time I find myself laughing when I most definitely should not be. How can I teach her that some things are wrong if I'm laughing??

Tyson-Such a sweet boy!! He will randomly come up and ruffle my hair or give me hugs and kisses. He is best friends with his big sis and the best big brother to his baby sis.

Olivia-She is the sweetest baby. So cuddly and mild mannered. She doesn't fuss (much) when her siblings hold her. And she's pretty :)

Carrottopsmomma said...

I would love to read this book! My 4 kids have such different personalities and we're struggling with a lot of contention in our home right now. What a help this could be.

Sharod really cares about others but sometimes his teenager attitude gets in the way. He is fun to be with and always makes me laugh.

Christopher is more serious, sensitive, and really smart. He amazes me sometimes with what he knows.

Tanner is easy going and relaxed. He loves to help me and will stay by my side until the job is done.

Ayla, being my last child and only girl gets a little spoiled. She can be a little stubborn at times but she is sensitive and loving and willing to help.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Great review Clair! This sounds like a good read. I have some kids with very strong personalities, so this sounds like the book would really help with that.

Anyway, you are awesome, your blog is awesome, and your kids are adorable. (I talked to your oldest on Sunday about her Red Riding Hood story. She is very creative. Takes after her mom I guess :)

Anyway, take care!

Angie said...

Yay for contests...I am curious about the book as I know u and suzette really enjoy her works.

Simon helps me see beauty all around as he marvels at the world around him. From the colors of the trees to the sound of the cicada it is all amazing to him. He is also so smart and keeps me on my toes trying to figure out answers to his questions.

Liam is my sweetheart. He loves to.give me hugs and kisses and warms my heart. He also giggles at anything which can cheer me up no matter what else is going on that day.

pamrad said...

I love your picture!
Stephanie (19) I love her eye for beautiful things. Her strength that helped her to over come the things that life has thrown at her.
Elle (16) I love her out goingness(is that a word?) She loves life! And not afraid of anything!
Clohe (11) I love how she likes to be helpful(except her siblings. Lol) I admire her ability to talk to people one on one or in front of a large group.
Gaby(5) I love her sweetness. She is a sentivie soul and while it can be hard for her at times when bad things happen she truly cares for others and wants good for all. 3ven if her little brother is being mean to her she doesn't want him to get into trouble.
Jake(4) Our only boy and baby of the family. I love his energy (sometimes) he has more than the rest of us put together. He is funny, sweet, and ornery all rolled into one. He completes our family.

Lisa B said...

Clair,
It sounds like an interesting book. I am always looking for ways to help my children become successful.

buttercup said...

Nathan is intelligent and witty.
Kielle is nurturing and athletic
Ryan is a good friend to those around him
Ada is an artist and so good at everything she does.
Tessa is light on her feet as a fairy, she is always covered in dirt and is creative.

kathiamike said...

Well I am excited it to read this book.
Amanda...she has a big heart. Always caring for others. I love listening to her play the piano specially our church hymns.
Michelle...is an amazing reader, loves loves her bookS. She is so creative and is always designing clothes on her journals. She is so full of energy and love the bright happiness her big brown eyes bring to me