Wednesday, November 24, 2010

This Is How We Do It

The fifth week of the spica cast has just begun. I've been wanting to document just how things are going around here and what Seth's temporary normal has been.

What does a 2 1/2 year old that cannot walk or sit up on his own do all day? He basically goes from watching TV while laying on his back to playing with toys on the floor while laying on his tummy, and then back again, and again, and again. Dora and Diego are his shows of choice and he loves playing with his toys- especially the toy train we got out a few days ago and bristle blocks and of course his little cars. Right away, I ordered a magnetic puzzle book and some lacing beads to help keep those little hands busy.




It is wonderful that he is able to sit upright by sitting on someones lap, straddling one of their legs. So glad that he can have a little normalcy and eat at the table. I usually get the meal all situated, then sit down and Dave brings Seth to my lap and we eat together messily. Having Seth on your lap has its advantages because you can ask people to go get things you forgot and they really can't say no. This sitting position also makes it possible for Seth to do fun things like squish playdoh.




How is the cast holding up? See for yourself...

Then
Now

At least Dora stopped by to autograph.

A few people have casually asked me if the doc is going to change out his cast sometime during the 6-8 week stretch. My answer is either "I hope not" or "No way!" depending on how stubborn I'm feeling. If getting a "fresh" cast did not entail anesthesia (that did not go well the first time around (understatement)), then I would be begging for an odor free replacement. But under the circumstances, the safest thing is for us to endure the ever worsening scent and keep it as clean and dry as possible. Every few days we get out the hairdryer, press Seth's skin away from the cast, and spend a few minutes drying out the edges surrounding the diaper area.

And about those diapers... there is just enough room to tuck in the top of the front and the top of the back. Everytime, I see Seth's little bum from behind I think about those old fashoined pyjamas with the little button up flap in the back. Seth was not potty trained before the injury but he was getting to the point of recognizing when he was about to go. So, thankfully now he usually yells "Pee!" and I know that means he is pooping so I take care of it right away and we lessen the risk of a soiled cast. Nighttime diapers generally get very wet and often the inside of the cast near the diaper area gets wet too- front or back depending on if he's is sleeping on his tummy or back.

Onto a cleaner topic... we have been going to the orthopedic clinic once a week. (The hospital and church are Seth's only guaranteed outings.) I decided to document our visit last week, though I was not bold enough to ask the doctor for a photo.


Here is Seth in the back of the Suburban ready to go to one of his weekly early Wednesday morning doctor appointments. The Children's hospital is lending us this nifty vest that makes travel possible. Seth is not impressed with the vest and has recently begun wagging his finger saying "no, no, no" when we get it out of the closet. This vest buckles twice around his middle and also between his legs- very similar to a life vest used for swimming. We thread a shoulder belt through the top buckle and a lap belt through the bottom buckle and a seperate buckle that goes around his leg. A pillow for his head and one for his feet and he is ready to roll.

Traveling from here to there is best done in a wagon. We tried a reclinable wheelchair at first, but he kept sliding down and because it had to be reclined a bit, the adult pushing it had to bend over in order to push it. The wagon is working out best and he sure looks cute it.

In the waiting room...


I would like to interject just how awesome Dave has been through this whole thing. When he is able (which is most of the time thanks to his super understanding and helpful boss) Dave goes into work late or meets me at the hospital when Seth has an appointment. It is no easy feat getting out the door with everything we need and carrying and lifting Seth over the back seat and out again. My strong husband does it best. :) (Seth weighs 35 lbs without the cast. I am guessing about 50 lbs with it.) I think this whole experience has given Dave and I a great opportunity to work as a team. It is a blessing to take special care of our little one.

It's off to xray next. Seth gets a little weary of being placed on the xray table, so we stay close and hold his hand.


Then we go to actually see the doctor who lets us know that the healing is progressing wonderfully. Seth gets lots of attention when we go to the hopsital, lots of people commenting on how cute he is and what a nice ride he has. Seth was especially happy on this day and daddy's funny faces made him smile even more.


With it being the season of Thanksgiving, there has been lots of talk at church about gratitude and specifically about having gratitude during our trials. We are to give thanks in all things- both the joyous and the difficult. Well, it has not been hard to recognize our blessings throughout this ordeal. There are many really. One I already mentioned- Dave and I bonding as we work together to care for Seth and just having gone through a very scary day together. I have personally been blessed as a mother as I have been compelled to do those simple things that I should have been doing often already-- getting on the floor and playing with Seth, just being with him more-- letting the cleaning and photo editing take second place just the way it should be. And Seth! "Wow!" is what I think about how well he has handled this. My biggest concern and saddness at the beginning was that I was afraid that Seth wouldn't understand why he had to be confined to this cast and that he might think it was a mean thing to have done or that it was something that was going to be permanent. But prayers for this little guy have been answered an hundred fold. He is the best sport! He just accepts his lack of mobility and makes the most of it, enjoying the things that he CAN do. It has been a perfect example of humilty for me. This has certainly been a case of a child teaching Christlike ways as he has kept a positive spirit and even expresses gratitude in his own little way. "Thank you, Ma." has to the sweetest thing I've heard over the course of it all. Him thanking me for simple little things that I do for him that he cannot do for himself melts my heart. <3 a="" and="" being="" br="" can="" character="" feel="" glimpse="" gotten="" guy="" have="" he="" him="" i="" into="" is="" like="" little="" my="" of="" older.="" patient="" see="" strong="" the="" when="">
And while on the topic of gratitude, I must express how thankful our family is to those who are helping us through. To those who watched our other children and prayed during that first uncertain day, "thank you!" And to the ladies who have come and stayed with Seth so I could go to appointments or go grocery shopping, "thank you!" And to the special neighbor who welcomes my children early in the morning and sees them off to school on the days that Seth has his doctor appointments, "thank you so much!"

In summary, Seth is doing incredibly well, and we have so much to celebrate tomorrow during our Thanksgiving feast!

2 comments:

Ella said...

Clair, I loved this post. I loved reading about how you guys have been doing. Seth is awesome! And so are you and Dave. That's great you've been able to see those positive things come from this. And a good reminder to stop and play with my kids more! And I'm glad you included the diaper changing details, because I was wondering!

VanillaDreamer said...

Thank you so much for allowing all of us into your lives during this- I have been praying for Seth, as well as you all daily during all of this. I too enjoy reading all of the positives you have posted through this. Hope you all have all have a blessed Holiday!