
Our littlest cat's behavior warrants a post. Yesterday, we retrieved her from a strangers house for the 13th time! No, I am NOT exaggerating. This little feline is either the friendliest cat in all the world or the dumbest. (The picture to the right is of her as a kitten- she's now 1 1/2 years old.) When I get a call on my cell phone from a number I do not recognize, I can pretty much count on the following conversation..."Hello" "Hi, is this Violet?" "No, but I am her owner."
(The collar w/ name tag and phone # has saved us a few bucks- last time we had to get her from the pound it was 19 buckaroos plus a headache.) Then the caller goes on about what a beautiful and sweet cat she is and how she just made herself at home at on their doorstep or in their lap. This is becoming so routine that I just want to interrupt and say "Where can I pick her up?"
(Side note, not everyone thinks she's great- thus the 3 trips to the animal shelter so far.)
One time I had to go in a stranger's living room who had to tip up the couch so I could get the little beauty out from underneath it. And this tops all-- one time I had to go into a strangers house- up the stairs and into a bedroom where I found Violet kicking back in a baby crib! Usually she is just a few houses away from home but yesterday was her record- she was several blocks away.
So, now I'm just wondering... Is Violet a vivacious people person or is she missing a few marbles and can't tell one military house from another? (Well, neither can I but an address usually gets me home.) Does she love everyone or could she care less who she's with? Is there any such thing as an IQ test for cats?
Let me not forget to mention our other cat- the model cat, Tiger. (See him and Violet facing off below during their first meeting.)
Leaving Tiger out would be like focusing all the attention on the prodigal son while never mentioning the faithful, responsible son. He has been great from day one. I have become a bit attached to him as he is now filling the role of my childhood friend Muffin-- a great confidant, a warm spot at the end of the bed, a comforting companion. And he always comes home. Tiger was delivered by Santa Claus in response to endless pleas from a 5 year old Olivia. Violet on the other hand was the runt of a litter of cats some friends of ours kindly took in when their stray cat mother made herself at home at their house. Hmmm... maybe their origins have something to do with their behaviour. Perhaps we have a possible science project- nature vs nurture, genes vs the environment thing. Okay, one more thing and I'll let this topic go. I should mention that for some unreasonable reason, the Army post is really die hard about no loose animals. That is why our cats are not free to roam without either the military police picking them up or a good Samaritan. So why don't we just keep the cat's inside? Good question. So far, we cannot deny them the fresh air and space they so enjoyed at our last address. We want them to use their claws (that we so humanely decided to let them keep) for something other than our new black leather couch.
Dave and I used to get a bit annoyed at the good Samaritans who would call and tell us Violet was at their place. We wondered why they didn't just ignore her. We figured if people weren't out picking her up, she would eventually find her way home. But after several examples to the contrary, we realize that she kind of imposes on people, jumps into their laps and won't leave sort of thing. So now we are grateful for the phone calls (which, again, help save us a few bucks.)
3 comments:
hmm. i simply cannot decide which approach to take in my comment today:
1. berate and ridicule you for having not just ONE, but TWO cats?
2. hmm. that's it, actually. that's the only thing coming to mind.
'nuff said.
oh, wait. then there's approach number 2:
berate and ridicule your neighbor for letting a strange cat into their baby's crib in the first place.
that's just plain weird.
this post had me rolling. you are so funny clair!
That is crazy! You can't let that cat out anymore! Clip her nails!
Post a Comment