Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day Review


I had a happy Mother's Day. The kids really came through. My favorite part was the program the children did at church. All the church kids sang a couple of songs, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Faith was singing along quite well with the bigger kids. What wasn't pleasant was when, during one of the songs, she climbed up on the step stool that kids use when speaking at the microphone- giving herself a platform about 2 feet higher than the rest of the crew. None of the leaders seemed to notice and I was afraid she was going to take a dive, but she didn't. Whew! Then she made her way to the microphone and a leader did catch her just before she belted out a tune. (During the congregational hymn earlier she was singing Annie's "Tommorrow" at the top of her lungs.) Dave, Olivia and Paul sung a trio of "Love is Spoken Here" and I thought they did a great job.

During another part of the program children shared what they loved about their moms. Before the meeting the Primary President brought Faith and Paul a paper they had apparently prepared the week before. Faith's was torn in half but I was able to read "I won't run away." When it was her turn she stood and said "I love my mom because she keeps me safe." Most kids would have stopped there, right? Well, Faith was enjoying the spotlight and went on with more information... "When I am in the parking lot I hold my mom's hand... A red light means stop... A green light means go." This was cute. And I am always telling her to hold my hand or stay close to me in the parking lot- and she has been known to run off. I should rejoice that apparently what I am saying is sinking in. Paul showed a picture he had drawn. He had divided the paper into four squares and each had a stick figure drawing of me and one of the kids. He said, "This is a picture of my mom with her FOUR kids!" Four kids?! Wow, I do have four! Olivia finished things off with this... "I have a splendid mom. I love her all the way to Pluto and back. I bet she would even sacrifice her life for me. She cooks for us everyday and my dad cooks for her on her birthday." Too sweet! So I was beaming and this whole time I got to snuggle with little Seth.

Traditionally, the men folk or the youth prepare a small gift for all the ladies in church on Mothers Day. This year's was the most original. Our branch president is from Hawaii and his wife is the Young Women president. She and the girls had made flower clips for our hair. This was so unique and it was fun to see everyone with a little tropical flair. Plus it was the perfect touch for my new haircut. (Just got it cut on Saturday. I went blindly to the Px salon and lucked out. The gal I got really knew what she was doing and I got just what I wanted. So long to the hair clips that I was wearing every single day!)

And here are a couple of pictures for those of you who have yet to see Seth with his eyes opened...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's day Clair... I had asked Janet about you and she just send me your blog spot... Amazing! Your children are beautiful! I have 2 little ones of my own, although not as little as yours.. Chase is 15 months and Holly is 29 months and then of course Madisen is 10. I wish I could blog... but I am NOT a writter.. I will however bookmark yours... It was nice to see what has been going on in your world

Melanie said...

so glad to have found your blog- I feel like I've rekindled an old friendship. It really brings me back when you write about Muffin!! Seth is too cute! It looks like Faith has transitioned into the role of big sissy quite well.

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous!

Ella said...

Man, that is such an awesome idea for the church program, but I guess it can only really work in branches? I'm so glad you immortalized what they said. It is so funny, and I bet you were on cloud nine!