Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Slices of Life

At the beginning of Dave's deployment I considered replacing my Simple Things Sunday photo with a photo or message specifically for Dave. I did some thinking before I settled on something that I thought would be meaningful and doable. I came up with a Slices of Life project which would mean taking photos of simple, everyday moments. (Yes, this concept is very similar to the Simple Things project which is good in that I am still taking note of the little blessings that make life grand. However, I'm doing it from a slightly different perspective and on my very own timeline, ie. whenever I feel like it.)

I want to share pictures with Dave that show the kids as they are-- no staging or primping, nothing out of the ordinary-- just the cute stuff that they do because they are them. These are the things that I think a daddy probably misses the most when he is away. I decided to post these photos on facebook since that would be the easiest way for Dave to see them. So I have a Slices of Life album on my profile. (You know, I have to remind Dave verbally and send him multiple links via fb before he looks at the blog. That's why I can write freely about him and not worry that he may read it-- cause he won't, unless I beg him to. Ha.)

Anyway, I thought I'd post some photos from my facebook Slices of Life album here on the blog...

8.10.11 Seth walks his virtual dog via DS while Dozer looks on. Just realized Faith is taking her temperature. Ha.

8.15.11 Seth in mismatched pj's, out for his early morning trike ride

8.15.11 Paul's new responsibility. It appears that Seth spends a lot of his time looking over his shoulder to see what big brother is doing.

8.22.11 Could he be watching.. oh... i don't know... maybe the POWER RANGERS!? (or it could be Dora, Diego, or Thomas.)

8.22.11 It's on like Donkey Kong. I have had to learn a few wii moves to help Seth out of a tough spot or two.

8.23.11 O'dark-thirty, Livvy getting prettied up for middle school.

8.23.11 Our little reader, Faith filled out her entire reading log in one night- poor teacher, lol.

9.13.11 Learning/teaching the fine points of the Nintendo DS.

9.15.11 Mini light saber. No holster needed.

9.16.11 It's a rough life.

9.19.11 Pals.

9.23.11 Seth is ready for "school," such a poser, giving a few power ranger moves too.

9.24.11 Backyard friends.

9.24.11 Making the cookies was a lot more fun than tasting them. Seth was unpleasantly surprised when he started to lick the beater of pumpkin flavored batter. (PS- notice Olivia lounging in the background. Ha!)

Photography note- Sometimes being a professional photographer makes me feel like I should only post my very best photos. Well, anyone that reads my blog knows that most of my personal shots are far from portfolio worthy. In fact, I often use my camera phone. (I think every single Slices of Life photo was taken with it.) I believe it might have up to 2 megapixels. I always get noise and a little fuzz with it. But it's sooo handy, and I don't enjoy lugging around the Canon 40D. Granted, I know I should break it out more often. Sometimes I'll get something cute that I wish was even cuter because it was better quality, but such is life. When I post a technically crappy picture in my Slices of Life album, I have to remember the purpose of the album is to share moments with Dave, not to impress him with back lighting and bokeh.

No comments: