Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tween or Pre-Teen?

So is Olivia a "tween" or a "pre-teen?" She get's cranky when I use the word tween and told me that pre-teen was the correct term. Either way, my firstborn is now 10 years and 18 days old! (Making this a very tardy post.)



A few weeks ago I met a new neighbor (well, I was the new one) who had teenage girls. I mentioned that my oldest daughter was about to turn 10 and that I was starting to see some "teeny tendancies" (moodiness, selfishness, impatience, etc.) My neighbor laughed heartily and said, "Yep, it starts at 10!" After exchanging pleasantries, and letting her know I may be back for some tips, I squared my shoulders and walked home to face the new reality... life with a blossoming drama queen.

If someone called me a drama queen I would be a bit insulted assuming that the person considered me overly reactive and perhaps a bit irrational. But, for my Olivia, "drama queen" is the highest of compliments that stirs feelings of pride and honor. If she had 7 t-shirts, instead of one homemade one, that announced this dominate personality trait, she would wear the shirts proudly from Monday thru Sunday.

Let me give you a taste of Tween Olivia... Oh, it just came to me... Drama Tween! I will try to refrain using this perfect term, as I imagine it will not be favorable to said Tween... I mean Queen. Following is a journaling page that Olivia recently completed...



(VIP Back Stage Pass Real Name- Drama Queen, Stage Name- The Twilight Zone, Concert Location- (our address), Name of Bodyguards- Edward and Jacob, Backstage crew consists of make-up artist, friends, and manager. Signed "Drama Queen! See! ya! later!)

Twilight?! All of a sudden, Olivia has a slight infatuation with Edward from Twilight? She is not allowed to read these books till she is at least 13, but apparently she has caught the fever (and I'm truly only lukewarm on the hype myself and would be on Team Jacob if I was forced to participate in the frenzy.) This fever was nursed along when she got a huge poster of Edward. Okay, the poster is normal size but Edward's head is huge- filling up all the space that doesn't say "You think I'm the hero. What if I'm the bad guy?" The bushy eybrows are horrendous at life size, imagine them magnified 300% ? Okay, don't. Anyway, Olivia's newest webkins are Bella, a pink pony, and Edward, a husky dog. Sigh...

Party time... The party was a lot of fun with old neighbors, new neighbors and classmates from 4th grade attending. Olivia won a birthday giveaway sponsored by military housing which entitled her to $180 worth of rent for an inflatable. (We had to pay the remaining $40- no kidding!) She got an awesome slip and slide which was fun despite the cool overcast day and occasional sprinkles. A pinata was a must and we also played limbo and had a hula-hooping contest. Paul won the limbo- who knew? And Olivia earned an honorable 2nd place finish in the hula-hooping contest which she had been practicing for for at least 2 weeks.













And that sums it up! We are grateful for this spunky, creative, loving, and often dramatic girl that blesses our lives daily. Happy 10th Birthday, Olivia!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like I have a lot to look forward to in about 8 years! She has really grown up since "back in the day" and I am assuming you are living in new housing as those houses look great in the back ground!! As far as Twilight goes I am SUPER happy to know someone who would be on team Jacob, everybody is all about Edward but Jacob is so much better!!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i laughed from start to finish on this one.
mika, sam and jordan sit around and talk about their respective love interests regularly. i hate it. what the heck? what happened to arguing over who gets to be the yellow power ranger?

livvy is getting to be so pretty! watch out.

mama bear said...

Oh my, I am so not looking forward to the terrible tweens! My girls already have attitude, I can only imagine what they'll be like once those hormones kick in! What a fun birthday though, I love the big slip n slide!

The Griner Family: said...

I am not sure how I missed your post but we having been waiting for it! HA!! Pre-teen. That's great!!! Did Livvy watch the Twilight movie?? I can't believe she is so old now!! We cant wait to see you guys!! Happy Birthday Livvy!!

Unknown said...

Wow. I can't believe you have a 10 year old! They grow up so fast! My oldest will be turning 8 and I'm already in shock. Can't wait for the tween years.hehehe

Ella said...

Awesome stories. Happy Birthday Olivia (a month late). I can't believe the Twilight stuff. And I can't believe she is getting so old!